New maps for a22

I've created some new maps for a22 to further improve selection and variety.

These may need some minor fixing up, I'm still unskilled at map-making.

You can find my maps here.

There is also a ticket for this.

Screenshots are provided for each map.
African Plains

African Wetseason

Ambush-Frontier

Artic Summer

Artic Tundra

Carthaginian Coast

Danube

Extinct Volcano

India

Polar Sea

Ravines

Strips

Two Rulers(scenario)

maps.png

Edited by Hannibal_Barca
  • Like 4

The African and Artic maps are mainly there to add more set-biome maps, i feel we already have many random biome ones. Also they look interesting.

We have few maps of dryer coasts(carthaginian, libyan, egyptian) so thats why Carthaginian Coast was created. Historically, control of it was important for protecting the Carthaginian trade routes. This map is similar to Phonecian Levant, might need some extra modifications.

The Danube was historically an important river, seperating kingdoms and tribes. It being an easy frontier to defend, its shores were contested for. Also we have no maps with set autumn biome.

India definitely needs some extras, but could be promising. In ancient times the Mauryan Empire warred with and conquered the tribes inhabiting this area.

The Two Rulers features an archipelago in the Agean Sea. Ancient Greek city-states often only controlled 1 island and were also frequently at war with the neighbouring polis.

• Like 2

If it is Carthaginian coast, then why not the sea on the north and the land on the south? Maybe call it Libyan Coast or something. In generally, the names could have more historical and geographical flavor.

African Plains -> Savanna or Serengeti would work.

Extinct Volcano -> Maybe always put the volcano to one side of the map riather than always in the middle. This make the gameplay more distinct.

India -> What part of India is this? Maybe rename to Gedrosia or Arachosia.

Ravines -> Maybe rename to Petraea or Arabian Wadi. Also, make starting flat areas bigger please for the players. :)

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

If it is Carthaginian coast, then why not the sea on the north and the land on the south? Maybe call it Libyan Coast or something. In generally, the names could have more historical and geographical flavor.

African Plains -> Savanna or Serengeti would work.

Extinct Volcano -> Maybe always put the volcano to one side of the map riather than always in the middle. This make the gameplay more distinct.

India -> What part of India is this? Maybe rename to Gedrosia or Arachosia.

Ravines -> Maybe rename to Petraea or Arabian Wadi. Also, make starting flat areas bigger please for the players. :)

Libyan Coast might be a good choice.

Central India is meant, suggested names sound great.

Ravines was made like this so that players are forced to take control of surrounding bluffs or die. Still a slight increase could be made.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

borg, Grugnas, Hannibal and me have played a test match on african plains and the map is even better than I expected :-)

The next one I would recommend to add is Polar Sea: https://code.wildfiregames.com/D156   . Feedback welcome!

Players start in a cold polar region barren of vegetation.
In the sea fish and whales abound, while the fragile icy land teems with huntable walruses and deadly wolves.
These wolves, made ravenous by the harsh and forbidding climate, drawn by the scent of prey, have started appearing in terrifying numbers.
A wise and strong ruler will not only achieve victory over his enemies, but also keep the number of these beasts at bay, lest they undermine his economy and cause his downfall.
Warning: It is inadvisable to disable treasures, since there is no gatherable wood.

Wolves keep reappearing.

screenshot.jpg

Players start with an initial market and wooden treasure, as there are no trees:

screenshot1.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, niektb said:

For polar sea you can't write a small trigger script that doubles the amount of starting wood (or something like that)? So that the map doesn't rely on players reading the description?

Since players start with markets and there is a lot of food on map to sell, I wouldn't think it that big a problem.

About Renames:

I'm open to renames. Howe Sound urgently needs a new name, it's entirely out of place, not sure about Ngorongoro and Amazon. I don't mind African Plains being generic (alpine lakes and a number of other examples have that too).

Personally I don't mind having random map scripts of places on earth where our civilizations were not present at the time though (as long as those aren't part of a historical campaign). We could add a mapfilter for those if that helps.

About Disabled Treasures:

Spawning treasure with a trigger script instead could work, but why not allow players to disable the treasure if they want to? We have added the market, so that players immediately grasp that this map is about trade. It is even possible to barter (metal and stone that can be gathered) and create trade carts in phase 1. Also the map can be played with higher starting resources. And if in the worst case, treasures are disabled, map started with low resources and players not having patience, they can rehost.

About Wolves:

An updated patch is going to be uploaded in the next hours and wolves will be more badass and attack the closest organic units around. At this point I'm eager to playtest this to see if it's getting too hard to build and defend a tradeline.

1 hour ago, niektb said:

Re Disabled treasures: In that case you should alter the warning about disabling treasures since now it sounds like the treasures are really needed for the match to work (since you can't tell from the map preview that you get a market too at start)

As of newest description (known of by elexis): Warning: It is inadvisable to disable treasures, since there is no gatherable wood. Not recommended for inexperienced players.

I think it is understood that "inadvisable" means you can still play without treasures.

Does the newest description make a present difference to the player's understanding of the map?

The word 'inadvisable' is clear enough, yet it doesn't explain in which way it ca be played... I think I would mention the market in stead of 'not recommended for inexperienced players'. Such as:

Warning: It is inadvisable to disable treasures, since there is no gatherable wood. The players start with a market that can be used for bartering and trading.

Edit: okay, the second sentence is not entirely connected to the first but I'm sure you get the idea.

Edit2: as a sidenote, I find the water rather ugly atm, I advise to copy the environmental settings from Howe Sound :) 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, niektb said:

Does the newest description make a present difference to the player's understanding of the map?

The word 'inadvisable' is clear enough, yet it doesn't explain in which way it ca be played... I think I would mention the market in stead of 'not recommended for inexperienced players'. Such as:

Warning: It is inadvisable to disable treasures, since there is no gatherable wood. The players start with a market that can be used for bartering and trading.

Edit: okay, the second sentence is not entirely connected to the first but I'm sure you get the idea.

Edit2: as a sidenote, I find the water rather ugly atm, I advise to copy the environmental settings from Howe Sound :) 

Mention of market added, about water not sure, i find it quite picturesque this way.

Thanks for the feedback niektb, wowgetoffyourcellphone, Sandarac, maxticatrix, siole and echotango ! (Also thanks to Grugnas and borg who tried for 2 hours but utterly failed to apply the patch, you will see the map soon enough though)

screenshot.jpg

Playtest:

• Players: maxticatrix, siole, myself
  • Replay: 2017-02-24_0004.zip
  • Revision: 19242
  • Map version: D156.id584.diff
  • Summary: Last Man Standing Game. For the first hour players couldn't build anything real, never reached the pop limit, lost units all the time unless paying attention. Starting food was missing, so no defenses could be built up. After that time, the players became formidable and the game became really interesting. Confirmed good, interesting, unique map that requires the player to develop new strategies!

Notice if players get defeated, the remaining ones get even more wolves

Environment Settings:

It was the sun elevation in particular that made the textures too shiny. By generating the map in atlas, we can play with the sliders to see the different effects (rather than restarting the game each time). Tested lots of settings, the range of well looking elevations is very small). The skyset is more important than the water tint and color apparently, changing the prior had no noticeable effect. None of the skysets seem to be ideally fitting.

Description:

Ultimately the way in which the map is to be played should be discovered by the players themselves. I observed most players don't read descriptions for various reasons (randomly chosed map for example). For that reason we had added the market in the first place, so that it becomes self-evident from the map. Starting with higher resources will make it significantly easier, as the wolves are only slightly annoying once city phase is reached with some towers and many units around. Another example of something that the description doesn't tell is that going for corrals and skipping fields altogether can be preferable, even if much slower usually, as women die with one bite but cavalry can garrison the CC and kill of the wolves safely. Also regicide mode clearly helps early on.

Other Improvements:

• Fixed performance bug (5 second freeze each wave if the map was spammed)
  • Disabled wood tech, as there is no wood
  • First wave after 5min, not 0
  • Starting food (10 muskox), as starting with females on farms is ruled out
  • Documented RangeManager bug at #4495, also noticed the famous red water bug