Building clickmaps not aligned well

Djarskublar

Sorry I wasn't paying super close attention, so I am not sure which Civ I was playing, but for my first spin on the game as a modestly experience AoM player, it was good. I do know that buying houses and a few other buildings was free. Buying lots of soldiers to do all the work will take getting used to though.

On to the actual bug!

One of the things (and the only issue I have experienced so far) I noticed almost immediately is that my Civic Center can be clicked a bit off of its actual graphic (maybe 10-20% of its size above the graphic). I wouldn't normally mind, especially since, at an educated guess, it appears that instead of having a custom clickmap for each Center, it appears that you just have a block set up for all of them (I haven't tested it extensively yet), but it interferes with rally point placement. I frequently place my rally point near my Center, so having the Center extend a bit up past its graphic is annoying. This is a pretty minor thing overall, and I don't know if it is a known issue yet. A glance at the first page of bugs told me it hasn't been posted about recently, and therefor probably not within this alpha release, considering that the posts extend back a couple months.

Liking the game so far, though. It is clean and well built. Based on how well it is built, I would say it is pretty close to a 1.0 release. I don't actually know anything about how far in you are though, that's just my experience so far.

• Like 1

You must've been playing the Ptolemies, since they're the only faction that gets most of their Phase I buildings for free.

Did you know that you can rotate the camera angles using the Q and E buttons? Maybe that would help you click your rally point near your Civic Center without having its Bounding Box in the way.

Edit: Use the R button to go back to the default camera view.

Edited by sphyrth
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That would probably be it. And I know you can rotate the map, it just seems silly that I need to. I have now experimented more, and I realize that my initial assessment was off a little bit. I realized that what is going on is that the button for cancelling a rally point is oversized, not the Center button itself. I took a screenshot of a Briton CC, mostly because it illustrates the point really well. Since it won't show the cursor in the screenshot, I moved a unit to the point where the rally point cancel button ends. His feet are where the rally point cancel option ends, and setting a new rally point begins. I frequently place a rally point about where he is standing so new stuff doesn't get in the way of old stuff that is farming or something or to remind myself of why I built that particular group in the first place. Note: the issue is different on different zoom levels, and the screenshot was taken zoomed out all the way.

Britons_Flag.png

• Like 1

If I understand correctly, his issue is that moving the cursor above the CC ends in the game assuming the cursor hovering the CC. So the selection box of the CC would be too big (in particular too much height).

However testing, in particular using Alt+D to open the developer overlay, removing the camera restriction and rotating the camera so as to get a front view reveals that the height of the briton CC footprint is actually correct. If we reduce it, the highest point is not inside the footprint anymore. So the mismatch comes from the cuboid shape, while the graphical model doesn't have that.

• Like 1

bbox.jpg

Everything in the green box is assumed to be the civic center when selecting.

What we do observe though is that the footprint is circular, but the engine ignores that and acts as if it was a square one. In particular input.js calling PickEntityAtPoint from Selection.cpp which calls PickAllEntitiesAtPoint from CCmpUnitRenderer.cpp which uses a CBoundingBoxOriented to check for the things beneath the mouse cursor. In BoundingBoxOriented.h we find this unflagged TODO that would probably address this issue:

* However, it could also be used to represent more generic shapes, such as parallelepipeds.

A hexagonal shape would likely help with the reported issue without causing a too bad performance impact.

• Like 2