Glory and Cult Statues

wowgetoffyourcellphone

Hi guys. So, I made the new Glory resource for DE. It's used to train heroes, research special technologies, and build wonders (which unlock the Empire Phase). Get Glory by killing enemy units and by building Cult Statues. The coolest thing is that the cost for each Cult Statue increases by 25% for each one you build. Each new Cult Statue is  more expensive than the last one!

delenda_est_alpha_27_cult_statues.jpg

glory.png

Athenians: Athena (bronze on marble pedestal)

Britons: Maybe they build rune stones? The cheapest of the "Cult Statues", but give the least Glory trickle.

CarthaginiansAteban Mausoleum. Is 2x more expensive, but has 2x health and gives a stronger Glory trickle.

Epirotes: Zeus.

Gauls: Wooden god statue, not sure which one(s). Taranis, Epona?

Han Chinese: Golden Bixby statues

Iberians: Repurpose the Revered Monument, but also give the attack aura like current.

Macedonians: Apollo (sun god epithet)

Mauryans: Small Stupas. References: 1, 2, 3

Persians: Large Lamassu

Ptolemies: Serapis; Isis. Two variations of the same structure. 

Romans (Republican): Jupiter, throwing bolt 

Romans (Principates): Colossus statue.

Scythians: Wooden Horse with giant antlers.

Seleucids: Apollo (archer epithet)

Spartans: Leonidas statue, or Apollo.

Suebians: A large totem with antler.

Thebans: Herakles or Theban Sphinx.

screenshot0860.png

screenshot0861.png

statues_aura.png

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

Serapis is a good choice for the Ptolemies, but also don't discount the important of Isis with the Isis Cult.  If you are going with cults, the Mithra Cult was a huge thing in the Roman Empire, especially among soldiers.  The Isis Cult also had a pretty huge hey-day, but that's up to you I suppose.  Rune Stones would be inapplicable to the Britons since they did not right with runes, and most rune-like monuments come from the Megalithic Era.  For the Gauls, you could have wicker-men be a basis for that.

• Like 1

I would say the Great Alexander for Macedonians. For Spartans, a small idea from me would be Ares, the god of war; Sparta was a city-state that was isolated from others because of their love for battles, which turned their city-state into a huge "army camp". Therefore, I would say they had a great relation to war and battles.

10 hours ago, SGK7019 said:

I would say the Great Alexander for Macedonians. For Spartans, a small idea from me would be Ares, the god of war; Sparta was a city-state that was isolated from others because of their love for battles, which turned their city-state into a huge "army camp". Therefore, I would say they had a great relation to war and battles.

I think a Ares statue would look very similar to the modern Leonidas statue anyway, so either can to work.

10131858.DSC00494.jpg

As forthe Macedonians, i think Apollo the Sun god would work the best, since the Macedonian dynasty claimed it was descendant to Apollo. the Macedonian royal symbol and civ emblem is the Apollo sun ray.

13 hours ago, Vercingetorix_ said:

Hello.

-Special technologies like what?

-Idea seems to be nice.

DE has many special technologies for all civs. Glory can be used for them. :)  Like, Hellenistic Metropolis, Antikythera Mechanism, Hegemon, Boeotarch, Archery Tradition, Eagle Standards, Urban Cohorts, Kṣhatriya Warrior Caste, Chanakya's teachings, Secret Police (Krypteia), and more. :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I think a Ares statue would look very similar to the modern Leonidas statue anyway, so either can to work.

10131858.DSC00494.jpg

As forthe Macedonians, i think Apollo the Sun god would work the best, since the Macedonian dynasty claimed it was descendant to Apollo. the Macedonian royal symbol and civ emblem is the Apollo sun ray.

DE has many special technologies for all civs. Glory can be used for them. :)  Like, Hellenistic Metropolis, Antikythera Mechanism, Hegemon, Boeotarch, Archery Tradition, Eagle Standards, Urban Cohorts, Kṣhatriya Warrior Caste, Chanakya's teachings, Secret Police (Krypteia), and more. :)

Yes, I believe you are right on both cases. By the way, what is DE? A mod, perhaps? I don't quite understand.

Well made statue! A small tip, either make the writing say "Athena", which is in English, or "ΑΘΗΝΑ" (since I saw you used the letter Θ and eventually created a mix of the two), which is in Greek :) .Writing it as ΑΘΕΝΑ, a Greek person (such as me) would pronounce it Athena (not how it is in English, "e" would  e pronounced as it is in "the").

Edited by SGK7019
  • Like 2

Question for developer dudes:

I want to make unit gather Glory by standing around the statue and doing a praise animation. For now I will use the capturing animations.

What i have achieve so far is to make a cursor for the action. I also add the infinite resource supply of glory.prestige for the statues. I also add the gather rate for glory.prestige for units. And the units do the animation when they gather at the statue.

A few problems. I want the Glory to go directly to the treasury as they gather it. I don't want the units to have to shuffle the "glory" back to a dropsite. Kind of like with treasures giving the resource without a unit capacity and withpout shuttle. Is this possible?

A hack would be to make the statue the only dropsite for Glory, but i don't like this, because there is other weird behavior with animations if you task the units away without dropping the resource off first they think they have glory in their hands, like they do with stone and wood.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

On 12/22/2016 at 3:55 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Question for developer dudes:

I want to make unit gather Glory by standing around the statue and doing a praise animation. For now I will use the capturing animations.

What i have achieve so far is to make a cursor for the action. I also add the infinite resource supply of glory.prestige for the statues. I also add the gather rate for glory.prestige for units. And the units do the animation when they gather at the statue.

A few problems. I want the Glory to go directly to the treasury as they gather it. I don't want the units to have to shuffle the "glory" back to a dropsite. Kind of like with treasures giving the resource without a unit capacity and withpout shuttle. Is this possible?

A hack would be to make the statue the only dropsite for Glory, but i don't like this, because there is other weird behavior with animations if you task the units away without dropping the resource off first they think they have glory in their hands, like they do with stone and wood.

I have made a hack that doesn't make weird animation behavior. I set the resource capacity of glory for the units to 1, so the instant they reach 1 glory it is immediately deposit at the statue they are praise. So, it is pretty much a constant generation like I wanted it to be. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2017 at 2:19 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

buddha.png

This is actually historically incorrect for the period. 

In the early history of Buddhism, he was never shown in physical form. Definitely not in that particular style. That comes much later.

He's shown through symbols, Bodhi tree, empty throne, empty horse, empty chariot, stupa, etc.

Image result for Sanchi stupa relief

Image result for Sanchi stupa relief throne

etc

etc

etc

If you need a statue, Buddha, in the symbol of a Chakra 

Image result for Sanchi relief Chakra

Or Triratana

Image result for Triratna Sanchi

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

@wowgetoffyourcellphone, I remembered taking some pics at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, back in 2011, including some Achaemenid artefacts and Neo Assyrian reliefs and a Neo Assyrian Lamassu, very similar to the Persian examples. Perhaps useful or interesting references:

Spoiler

Achaemenid Persian: 

1914754938_metropolitanmuseumofartAchaemenidPersianritualgoldcupcow.thumb.jpg.0364918939cd061693cb0c0153c9154d.jpg

2032574591_metropolitanmuseumofartAchaemenidPersianSilvergoatibex.thumb.jpg.67543d239411de56f38a580a213bba90.jpg

1986806954_metropolitanmuseumofartAchaemenidPersiangoldenRhytonofalion.thumb.jpg.978dbf5763e0b11789f3889a10a19c32.jpg

930176500_metropolitanmuseumofartAchaemenidPersianrhytonbullsilver.thumb.jpg.a1a9f86d0a979b24e0fdb159ea395a64.jpg

1181605083_metropolitanmuseumofartAchaemenidPersiangoldenlions.thumb.jpg.a59d20f8bd89c2e76a116d1a67561748.jpg

347857504_metropolitanmuseumofartAchaemenidPersianbustheadofaprincelapuslazuliPersepolis.thumb.jpg.f91562512fc6d6425f422ea41790c070.jpg

1025601498_metropolitanmuseumofartAchaemenidPersiansculpturereliefman.thumb.jpg.a48fb2b54036cf6570fe519abde6a9d0.jpg

Neo-Assyrian:

1997921018_metropolitanmuseumofartNeoAssyrianrelief.thumb.jpg.b72542f82f60226ca91ed026ea66e8dc.jpg

2000083699_metropolitanmuseumofartNeoAssyrianNimrudrelieftreeoflife.thumb.jpg.5324af9af5e789ed4052c81f78eeb4d4.jpg

432255898_metropolitanmuseumofartNeoAssyrianrelief2.thumb.jpg.0b8215d2ed6fed839801071f8522e74d.jpg

1518652040_metropolitanmuseumofartNeoAssyrianLamassustatuewingedmythicalcreature.thumb.jpg.9d42f9661adb20cf4a0bc063dd19f23e.jpg

964447032_metropolitanmuseumofartNeoAssyrianLamassustatuewingedmythicalcreature2.thumb.jpg.c1abf907d0d12048c46af7ddece6bc73.jpg

I'd also like to remind our talented in-house artists ( @LordGood, @stanislas69, @Alexandermb ) that a proper version of the lamassu is important for the "Gate of All Nations", which needs to replace the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. The outer gate of the Gate of All Nations is flanked by two giant bull statues, the inner gate is flanked by two giant lamassus. The Hanging Gardens of Babylon might be pretty, but just like stonehenge for the Celts, the Hanging Gardens were a terrible choice for the Achaemenid Persian wonder. It belongs to the wrong civilization (Neo-Babylonian Empire), pre-dates our timeframe by a century, and is semi-mythical...

Soooo, if you guys find the time, could you take another look at this topic, and adjust/improve/re-texture/finish @Enrique's already decent looking model?

I also provided some good primary references and artist reconstructions of the structure here:

• Like 1