Alpha 22 name suggestions

Jeru

Here are two anonymized e-mails that I have received with name suggestions for Alpha 22:

Good day 0.A.D. - Team!

I want to suppose a very simply, greate and good sound name for your next release. Victory. That word are very needed for all side in every battle, so it good for game with mass battles.
Also I want to suppose, if you agree to use that word for new release, write it as Viktory, because I have a pretty good little son, and his name Viktor (in Russia it writes in that way :)), and it your excellent game will have some piece for my litttle Son, I will be very glad :)

Thank all of You for great work!

And sorry for bad English :)

Being a portuguese, the first name that came to my mind is Viriato! or Viriathus ou Viriatus. Weel the Portuguese form, since he was "portuguese" (remind u of the statue of Viriato in Viseu, Portugal)

the famous sentence "Rome does not pay traitors" used in many movies and other several contexts

is also related to his death. 

take a pick at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viriatus... ull see its a good choice! and i dont think there was an iberian name on any alpha release so it s a good one!

Best regards and thx for the wonderful game!

You are all invited to write your thoughts about these suggestions and to suggest other names as well!

I don't have any specific suggestion, but I think it might be nice if we could find something related to the new unit meshes which are likely to be introduced in the next Alpha. It would also be nice to have something that's not related to Rome as we've had plenty of those =)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, feneur said:

I don't have any specific suggestion, but I think it might be nice if we could find something related to the new unit meshes which are likely to be introduced in the next Alpha. It would also be nice to have something that's not related to Rome as we've had plenty of those =)

What have in common all meshes?

may we can found a word for that.

If we want something non-Roman, how about Véda? Not related to unit meshes though.

The Sanskrit word véda "knowledge, wisdom" is derived from the root vid- "to know". This is reconstructed as being derived from the Proto-Indo-European root *u̯eid-, meaning "see" or "know".[21]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vedas#Etymology_and_usage

And of course there's Vercingetorix.

Latin for victory is victoria.

Edited by GunChleoc

3 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

oh god, the game needs the 4th one in a row? how about a gameplay release...

Well, the point being, if we get all the bugs fixed, which won't likely happen, but one can dream, you'll get to beta which will eventually make gameplay a top priority since there will be nothing else left to do.

16 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Well, the point being, if we get all the bugs fixed, which won't likely happen, but one can dream, you'll get to beta which will eventually make gameplay a top priority since there will be nothing else left to do.

It's more the opposite, if we don't have all the features we will not call it a Beta. We are however at a point where there are very few gameplay features left to implement, and the ones which are left to implement are either big, hard to define/decide on, or both, so it is not too surprising that a lot of people don't have the time/knowledge/interest required to work on the remaining gameplay features but might have time to work on some smaller bug fixes.

• Like 2

Well, if new animations are implemented the new alpha will have a big feature in (Not only gameplay and bugfixes make the game experience). Don't know if it's a hard task, but a simple campaign functionality feels easy to implement (another thing is doing a good design), so I think that it would be also in.

For me the game it's almost complete and only it lacks some love on ships, decide on running/charging/formations, improve pathfinding and a revision and redesign to make a cohesive gameplay (with the current features) (the problem is that everybody have their gameplay in mind, the solution is that you can make a mod). It's a lot of work, but hey, you're almost there!

Back to topic, I would prefer Vita (vida is a word that spanish still use, so sounds weird) for the arguments exposed there, but I think that there's plenty of greco-roman words already.  Viriatus could be chosen for his hardwork and his never-give-up spirit (there's a word for this?)

• Like 1

Volsinus?

Volsinii or Vulsinii (Etruscan: Velzna or Velusna; Greek: Ouolsinii, Ὀυολσίνιοι;[1]Ὀυολσίνιον[2]), is the name of two ancient cities of Etruria, one situated on the shore of Lacus Volsiniensis (modern Lago di Bolsena), and the other on the Via Clodia, between Clusium (Chiusi) and Forum Cassii (Vetralla).[3] One was Etruscan and was destroyed by the Romans in 264 BC following an attempted revolt by its slaves. The second was founded by the Romans using the remainder of the Etruscan population rescued from the razed city.

Vellinus?

Villendius?

Veronius?

Vindelicorus?

The Raeti tribes of the Alps are subjugated by Tiberius and Nero Claudius Drusus. During the campaign, Roman triremes on Lake Constance destroy the fleet of the Vindelici. Augusta Vindelicorum is founded and becomes the capital of Raetia Prima

• Like 1