Introductory tutorial

FaTony

There are a few bugs in the tutorial.

1. The trigger for city phase launched right after I was given an objective to reach city phase.
  2. It wanted me to build fortress but there is no stone or metal near the base. EDIT: Oh, there is stone. I completely missed it.
  3. Several trees on the cliff completely lock up pathfinding if I order to harvest them. See screenshot.

And here are some suggestions:

1. The tutorial should be split into several maps with the 1st map only dealing with unit movements, 2nd map maybe recruiting and 3rd with resource gathering and base making.
  2. The tutorial never says WHY do you need to do what you are requested. This is bad style.

screenshot0001.png

Edited by FaTony

The tutorials are broken. There are multiple tickets about bugs in them (#3678,#3723), and one about rewriting them to actually use triggers (#2303) instead of the custom AI hack that it is currently using. But apparently someone decided that working on those isn't possible unless #3912 is fixed. I do wonder how we managed to create tutorials without that functionality in the first place, and why making a few things a bit clearer for people that have never played an RTS and are unable to read tooltips can't be done later. Especially since that should just be adding some highlighting to the strings that are needed anyway. (And if that one is really blocking work on tutorials I'm not sure why #1446 isn't listed as another blocker.)

So we are aware that the tutorials are broken in many ways, and I'm quite sure that if someone would be willing to work on creating a new set of tutorials using triggers that would be very appreciated.

• Like 1