===[COMMITTED]=== Seleucid Champion Elephant

Enrique

A good starting point would be adding the armour of the legs and trump in the elephant skin texture, and then do the armour of the right side of the texture with gold/bronze plating.

Useful textures;

binaries\data\mods\public\art\textures\skins\skeletal\maur_elephant_hero.png

binaries\data\mods\public\art\textures\skins\skeletal\maur_elephant_siege.png

References:

Spoiler

Seleukos7.jpg

18_1w.jpg

37_0.JPG

Here are some tips in how to make textures in Blender by rendering!

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me but I think that the elephant skin is hided too much behind the golden armor. Maybe what I see here is the accurate armor (and the right way to make it look like the real one) but I think that we should still see more of the elephant skin, with some "holes" in the armor or maybe making the "legs-armor" not going up so high.

21 minutes ago, xanax said:

Maybe it's just me but I think that the elephant skin is hided too much behind the golden armor. Maybe what I see here is the accurate armor (and the right way to make it look like the real one) but I think that we should still see more of the elephant skin, with some "holes" in the armor or maybe making the "legs-armor" not going up so high.

The references I followed (first post) shows this elephant quite heavily armored.

Any particular reason for showing more elephant skin not covered by armor? is it hard to tell it's an elephant?

6 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

It's really nice !

Maybe you should add some more details to the front helmet though, it does seem quite ... flat?

Wouldn't that overload it?

Front mask is the only part of the texture that is not mirrored, since it would be very noticeable. It has the same form and features of the references we got.

The details I added apart from the references are the big scratches for high-level detail and the rivets around the eyes for low-level detail. Here's a closer screenshot:

elephant mask.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, av93 said:

Let me clarify... This is the old elephant model, with a new texture, that could be used in a new one with new animations?

Its a modified mesh version of the mauryan siege elephant which is quite new and all animations work on this seleucid variation. The unit is already playable in SVN.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Phalanx said:

Question: Would the towers be made of stone?  I know both the successor elephants have stone towers, but wouldn't that be REALLY heavy, even for an elephant?  Wouldn't wood be better?

They're not made of stone, its faux stone pattern embossed into leather and riveted to a wooden form, from what I understand. I would say, it would also look quite intimidating to see an elephant with a stone tower on it, for troops who had never seen an elephant before

Have to agree that some more player color would be nice. Suggestion (nb: don't necessarily do all 3)

-color a band around the legs

-color the tip of the tusks

-paint something on the front.

It also looks quite golden and not bronze to me but maybe I'm just seeing things :P

The howdah also looks like it's quite far back? Is that historical?

16 hours ago, Enrique said:

lol no, they're made of wood (you can see the wood texture inside the turret in the game)

On the outside they're mimicking masonry and are covered in leather

16 hours ago, LordGood said:

They're not made of stone, its faux stone pattern embossed into leather and riveted to a wooden form, from what I understand. I would say, it would also look quite intimidating to see an elephant with a stone tower on it, for troops who had never seen an elephant before

Huh! So they are!

• 3 months later...

Greetings and well done for everything :D

From historical aspect because I study history and my field of specialization is antiquity and middle-ages, I think that you should replace the pikemen which is on top of the howdah ( tower ) for more historical accuracy. Yes, they practiced to use long pikes, but in battles such as Raphia, Magnesia and the campaigns of Antioch the Great in Persia, most of the Seleucid elephants used mounted archers and javelin men on their towers in order to gain tactical advantage. Still if there are some technical problems for making the animations of both the archer/ javelin men and elephant to attack simultaneously, then use the current version of the pikemen.

Lastly, they used special linen textile with crimson design to cover the ears of the elephant for several reasons: first to make it a little deaf because of the forthcoming battle, chaos and noise and secondly to prevent the enemy infantry to strike injuries to it's ears with melee or ranged weapons.

• Like 1