Taxes

LordGood

Now, hear me out. I am an avid fan of city-builders and tend to build houses past my population limit for the aesthetic alone. I would also like to build up areas of the map that are otherwise barren of natural resources, wall them up, make them look pretty.

This is currently useless, except giving your population limit the ability to take some housing losses. It seems a shame for city builder civilizations to build 30 houses and be done with them, less with the peristyle tech.

Then I thought, taxes! all these citizens sitting pretty in their homes while I micromanage trade routes for territory expansion, why don't they help out?

This could have a number of benefits and implementations, Carthage, the colonial city building civ who relied so heavily on mercenaries, can actually put out a decent stream of mercenary units with taxed housing. Seleucids and Ptolemies could build cities to support its metal-heavy unit rosters. Grabbing land actually means something again, and the more territory controlled the more ferocious the battles will be when the wealth pours in, instead of locking into stalemate, waiting for the other player to falter.

I dunno, thoughts?

• Like 6

Interesting way (Taxation of ancient Greece), we could use a slider for balance between war buildings and economic buildings. And like it was in Greece: when a war with someone was started, you move the slider to war and usual building and units costs more, but war units cost less and faster to be produced.

Edited by vladislavbelov
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, fatherbushido said:

Or moving all those interesting idea to an economic mod.

the mod can be part of vanilla some day?

As part of the Persian empire's expansion under Darius I, the Persians sought to strengthen trade with local economies rather than destroy them towards the general goal of economic prosperity. Within this new system, they developed official coinage and imposed a 20 percent tax for local populations. The Persians themselves paid no taxes, but 20 percent was a moderate rate for the time. This kept subjects of the Persian empire content enough not to revolt.

Some time ago I wrote a patch that altered the ResourceTrickle component to allow the option of limiting the trickle rate by the percentage of territory controlled by the player. Essentially, the more territory lay within a player's territory borders, the faster the trickle rate.

I'm not suggesting that a territory-limited-trickle should be added to houses, but perhaps on a CC, market or palace...

It was never committed, but for those interested, it can be found on trac: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3321 (it's the second attachment, and might need rebasing)

• Like 6

We could also add an additionnal expenditure to compensate that new income: for example, military structures would have a maintenance cost, while civilian ones would produce taxes. That would force the player to keep developing its economy, even in phase 3 when most of its income come from trade.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LordGood said:

Because village phase and town phase are incredibly wood-heavy between construction, training, and technologies, and a spearman costing 10 metal per se would balance out the tax gain without needing a resource drain to worry about

Unit costing 3 resource is a unneeded complication that better games have avoid.

Also, keep in mind "taxes" in these time are not only paid in coin. In fact I would imagine to say that most tax paid in something other than coin.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

I think it would be better if there was a dedicated campaign mode where there was taxes, and all of that city management stuff, then on the actual RTS map there should be the regular RTS functions. In other words it would be like the BFME 1 and BFME 2 campaign maps. Also, if you don't like the idea then maybe there should be a happiness system like in Stronghold 2. More taxes means less happiness, which in turn makes soldiers fight worse (because we can't have peasants leaving the castle in this game). The happiness is the rate in which soldiers fight. More happiness means that soldiers get stat bonuses and buffs.

• Like 2