Testers wanted!

feneur

Do you want to help out with improving the game, but don't have the skills or time to help out with art or programming? Do you want to improve the game by playing it? Then this is your chance!

We have come to the conclusion that we need to begin testing thew game more seriously to improve the balancing of the game. There are still some gameplay features left to be implemented, but the game is close enough to being finished that it's worth keeping it fun to play. Starting to test it more seriously at this point also means that we will have the system set up once we reach Beta and that we will be better prepared to bring the game through the Beta phase as quickly and as well as possible.

To this end we have set up a Gameplay Testing forum, please check it out and if you have some time and are prepared to follow the simple procedure outlined please help out by playing some test matches. Before you do please read through the rules, it's not a good use of your time if the results can't be used :) We will be comparatively strict with the moderation in that forum, to make sure it's not flooded with comments that makes it hard to find the valuable information. If you want to discuss the gameplay balancing etc, please do so in the relevant forums.

• Like 9

On 2016-11-15 at 9:28 PM, Phalanx said:

Oooo!  Is this the un-official balance team?:brow:

If it ends up being successful it's definitely likely to end up being the official QA team :)

On 2016-11-19 at 4:43 AM, cristoneis said:

I DO

On 2016-11-18 at 4:30 PM, chavo said:

I'm in!

On 2016-11-18 at 11:35 AM, makiman said:

Hi there!

I´d like to be game´s  tester.

See you and thanks.

On 2016-11-17 at 1:25 PM, Star01 said:

thank you for information

If you want to help out with testing, please read through 

and then begin by testing:

• Like 1

Not setting up a framework to make it easier to usefully test the game will not make those patches automatically finished and put in the game. This is an opportunity for those who are not able to (or prepared to spend the time) to test or improve the code for the game to still be able to help out.

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry I have to post criticism, but well. Here we go:

How about you create a gameplay concept before calling people to test it?

I just downloaded the newest alpha, and gameplay wise there is almost zero progress. Yes, I've noticed there is more content in the game, the game runs smoother compared to before and animations etc. work better now.

But this kind of progress doesn't change the fact that It's still an AoE II clone with too much micromanagement on the wrong stuff.

Sure, you can capture stuff now, and that's better than I've initially expected it, but that doesn't change the fact that there are inherent flaws in the core gameplay that NEED to be adressed. Those are :

- Citizen Soldier system
- too much focus on booming
- all units available from the start
- unflexible teching
- economy management -> army transition feels weird (indirectly connected to Citizen Soldiers)
- no "red line" in the game which created tactical/strategical depth (indirectly connected to unflexible teching and Citizen Soldiers)

These points have been brought up numerous times in the past, yet still there's nothing done about it at all. I really hope someone wakes up and actually takes on the problems the the game mechanics, because art and content are not the major part of why strategy games are played.

• Like 5

0 AD is based propio of these techniques, the game itself has the ability to do things that others can not do, it is still a strategic and it is true, but it uses the strategy in a way different from what we would do another rts, as you say it is strange that there are soldiers linked to the economy, but this is the basis of 0 AD remove it would be to destroy a building that is already in the process of harness and rebuild it from scratch, we ever wonder why we talk always art? Why have the fundamental component of the game is created, the ability to do things that you have listed are the basis of 0AD not to be found in another RTS, but I'm just repeating what I have already said before, change the foundation would be a new beginning and I do not understand why if you already this principle has already been built a long time.
Propio this point it apart from AOE II, otherwise the game would concepts
too similar, these changes have been made to create a game SIMILAR TO AGE OF EMPIRE II, these concepts may also not like the game but they are propio these to make an independent game 0 AD to AOE II, with its techniques, and independent, and I find that to awaken the public interest, there must be something innovative, not the same rules of the same RTS, we are no longer in the era of the golden age of empires, we will be among some in the golden age of 0AD.

• Like 2

But this kind of progress doesn't change the fact that It's still an AoE II clone with too much micromanagement on the wrong stuff.

Because that the base of the game with AoM 2. Have some  features and concepts from Total War and RoN.

- Citizen Soldier system
- too much focus on booming
- all units available from the start
- unflexible teching
- economy management -> army transition feels weird (indirectly connected to Citizen Soldiers)
- no "red line" in the game which created tactical/strategical depth (indirectly connected to unflexible teching and Citizen Soldiers)

1-Agree I open a topic about that, start with villagers only and poor soldiers , so this way the development is more slow in early.

2-Agree, we must change the first point.

3-please explain that.

4-explain it.

5-more explanations, please.

These points have been brought up numerous times in the past, yet still there's nothing done about it at all. I really hope someone wakes up and actually takes on the problems the the game mechanics, because art and content are not the major part of why strategy games are played.

Yes indeed. But if no one does nothing means nobody see the problem, saying is bad isn't enogh. You need have arguments and solutions.

• Like 1

The point of this thread, and forum, and testing at this point, is to experiment so we have a system in place to properly test the game once it is ready for proper testing. Not to say that "we think everything is ready, please come test it so we can fine-tune things". Maybe we could have been clearer about that.

• Like 4

On 2/27/2017 at 8:20 PM, DarcReaver said:

These points have been brought up numerous times in the past, yet still there's nothing done about it at all.

Did you try gameplay mods: Delenda Est, MetaGameV2Sibyllae Vox ? If you have a different vision of gameplay and aren't satisfied nor by 0 A.D. nor by the existing mods, you can make a new one (describing the proposed changes in a dedicated forum topic for a start, then community can help you with the technical part).

2 hours ago, fcxSanya said:

Did you try gameplay mods: Delenda Est, MetaGameV2Sibyllae Vox ? If you have a different vision of gameplay and aren't satisfied nor by 0 A.D. nor by the existing mods, you can make a new one (describing the proposed changes in a dedicated forum topic for a start, then community can help you with the technical part).

I was founding member of Sbyllae Vox and played Delenda Est aswell, so yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello i am a professional alpha and beta tester for many years and i want to try this game review it find bugs,glitches etc.I try to download your game with torrent and link not working i try to direct download for windows not working i even download it on a debian system and got no icon and even with root commands it did not open please provide a new clean link to  download the game and test it!

4 hours ago, Teemo said:

Hello i am a professional alpha and beta tester for many years and i want to try this game review it find bugs,glitches etc.I try to download your game with torrent and link not working i try to direct download for windows not working i even download it on a debian system and got no icon and even with root commands it did not open please provide a new clean link to  download the game and test it!

Are you possibly using a browser plugin that forces https even if the site doesn't support it? That has been the most common reason for downloads not working recently, so I would suggest looking into that.

• Like 1

I just tried and it worked fine to download via the torrent and install. I did run into the issue of the installer failing because of me not having enough space on my C drive though. I guess that could have happened to you, but that wouldn't explain why the direct download would work :unsure: