Introducing another programmer

Hi!

My name is Yawin and I'm a freelance programmer who is interested in the engine of 0 A.C. I don't know speaking english very well but I will try to make me understand ^__^

I started developing programs and videogames in 2007, when I was 18. At the moment, I have an idea to make the "Best RTS videogame ever"™ and I was looking for free (from freedom, not from free beer) RTS engines and I found that game.

My questions are: ¿is possible to use the engine whith no use the game?¿How can I start to learn to make my own game with the engine?

Thank you for all answers ^__^

P.D: If you are interested, you can found my portfolio in http://miguelalbors.noip.me

Edited by yawin

1 hour ago, yawin said:

Hi!

My name is Yawin and I'm a freelance programmer who is interested in the engine of 0 A.C. I don't know speaking english very well but I will try to make me understand ^__^

I started developing programs and videogames in 2007, when I was 18. At the moment, I have an idea to make the "Best RTS videogame ever"™ and I was looking for free (from freedom, not from free beer) RTS engines and I found that game.

My questions are: ¿is possible to use the engine whith no use the game?¿How can I start to learn to make my own game with the engine?

Thank you for all answers ^__^

P.D: If you are interested, you can found my portfolio in http://miguelalbors.noip.me

Hello and welcome to the forums, it's always nice to see interested people. First of all I must warn you that the game and therefore the engine is in alpha state and may (and will) contain bugs, so maybe you'll want to use something like unity. If you are not gone by now, the game allows moddability, so while keeping some hardcoded stuff you might be able to make your own game. Map editor will likely break though if you have no textures.

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

It's totally possible to use pyrogenesis (our custom engine) and create a game with it. A lot of mechanics of the game, and also art, as Lion.Kanzen said, are outside of the engine and totally moddable.

You have the choice between creating a mod that will modify some things in the main game (all the current mods by the community do that) or replace the main game by yours. It all depends on how much your idea is different from 0 A.D. (is it historical, realistic, etc.) and on your interest in getting close to the development of 0 A.D. If you replace the main game by yours, you will not receive the updates and bugfixes we include in the main game, and I'm afraid you will not be able to go far especially if you are alone. It might be easier to create a mod on top of the main game.

Regarding the technology, all the mod programming is in Javascript. This forum has a lot of resources for everything art.

If you want to learn more, you can visit the wiki on our bugtracker, especially this page: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GettingStartedProgrammers

You can also say hi on IRC, on the 0ad-dev channel on QuakeNet. Even if you don't want to contribute to 0 A.D., feedback from people who use the engine is always appreciated! And don't hesitate to ask if you have more specific questions.

• Like 1

Writing a new game based on the current engine is a task that will take many months, probably years. I suggest to start with a creating a mod http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Modding_Guide and replacing things one by one. Your new mod should only contain the new and modified files (instead of copying the old ones from the "public" mod). You might want to start with the templates in simulation/templates/ which specify the stats, names and graphics of the units. Then you will likely need new models if you want a different timeframe or civilizations. Even the public mod's game logic is designed to be versatile enough so that mods can reuse it. So you likely don't want to rewrite that but just extend some things if you want new features.

I thank all the answers and advice. I have no intention of creating a mod, although I understand the technical differences between a mod and a complete set. In the same way that 0 A.D could have been a mod and preferred to be a game with its own identity.

5 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Hello and welcome to the forums, it's always nice to see interested people. First of all I must warn you that the game and therefore the engine is in alpha state and may (and will) contain bugs, so maybe you'll want to use something like unity. If you are not gone by now, the game allows moddability, so while keeping some hardcoded stuff you might be able to make your own game. Map editor will likely break though if you have no textures.

Thanks for your answer!

I understand what it means that the game is in alpha state and hence my interest in whether the engine is sufficiently separated from the game as you can update it as you being improved.

Besides, I have no intention of using a proprietary engine such as Unity.

2 hours ago, Itms said:

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

It's totally possible to use pyrogenesis (our custom engine) and create a game with it. A lot of mechanics of the game, and also art, as Lion.Kanzen said, are outside of the engine and totally moddable.

You have the choice between creating a mod that will modify some things in the main game (all the current mods by the community do that) or replace the main game by yours. It all depends on how much your idea is different from 0 A.D. (is it historical, realistic, etc.) and on your interest in getting close to the development of 0 A.D. If you replace the main game by yours, you will not receive the updates and bugfixes we include in the main game, and I'm afraid you will not be able to go far especially if you are alone. It might be easier to create a mod on top of the main game.

Regarding the technology, all the mod programming is in Javascript. This forum has a lot of resources for everything art.

If you want to learn more, you can visit the wiki on our bugtracker, especially this page: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GettingStartedProgrammers

You can also say hi on IRC, on the 0ad-dev channel on QuakeNet. Even if you don't want to contribute to 0 A.D., feedback from people who use the engine is always appreciated! And don't hesitate to ask if you have more specific questions.

The truth is that my game differs 0A.D enough to avoid making a mod. In fact, my intention was to make my own engine. But I found good idea to try, first, to use an engine already.

1 hour ago, elexis said:

Writing a new game based on the current engine is a task that will take many months, probably years. I suggest to start with a creating a mod http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Modding_Guide and replacing things one by one. Your new mod should only contain the new and modified files (instead of copying the old ones from the "public" mod). You might want to start with the templates in simulation/templates/ which specify the stats, names and graphics of the units. Then you will likely need new models if you want a different timeframe or civilizations. Even the public mod's game logic is designed to be versatile enough so that mods can reuse it. So you likely don't want to rewrite that but just extend some things if you want new features.

As I answered above, I have no intention of making a mod. On the one hand, because part of the goal is to learn about game engines. On the other hand, because my game is different enough to make it worthwhile to have its own identity.

I know it takes time. It is not the first game that I make, nor the last that I will do. But as Yoda says, "Do or do not. There is no try".

Edited by yawin

However it will not be more than a mod of another game.

Why reinvent the wheel? Not reinventing the wheel. If we play with that simile, the wheel would be the engine and a specific vehicle would be the game. And in my case, what I don't want is to modify a car to look like another; what I want is, with the same pieces, build a different one.

Edited by yawin