===[TASK]=== Improve hero portraits

Lion.Kanzen

9 minutes ago, Genava55 said:

I think this breast plate is based on the bronze cuirass of Marmesse which is dated from 9/8th century BC, Hallstatt then. I don't think there is any bronze cuirass during La Tène.

The only armor known during the British pre-Roman Iron Age is the chain mail armor (one finding in Kirkburn). Maybe the best option for Boudicca should be jewelry.

cuirass7.jpgResultado de imagen para cuirass of MarmesseImagen relacionada

Suit better to Aristeia.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

You can work on other missing portraits. Do you need help finding you way around the game's files ?

Please give me the name, then I will work on it. and when I finish it share it here with you. similar to Boudica

15 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Have you ever worked with either git or SVN before ? :)

No never,

That’s pretty nice.

How would it look if the shield was a bit more orange-ish? (So it would resemble the shield used for the Briton emblem)

You should know that I am pretty bad at criticizing art or Celtic history.

2 hours ago, dMAthena said:

Boudica.jpeg

Superb work. I love the gaze.

If I can be punctilious, I would say the spearhead is not Celtic. The River Thames iron spearhead is a good example of Celtic Iron Age spears.

If you want to continue in the direction of Celtic heroes, I can help. The only thing is that I have suggested several changes for the future. But anyway I can help you now and give you good information.

For example, Caratacos:

Spoiler

Caratacos - Son of King Cunobelinos.

With the help of his brother Togodumnos, he attacks Verica, the king of the Atrebates, and seizes his kingdom. Verica takes refuge on the continent, asks, and gets the help of Rome. The conquest of island Brittany begins ...

In 43 AD, he took the lead against Rome, which was beginning to invade the island. He was beaten on the Medway and then on the Thames, then at Camulodunum (Colchester), his brother Togodumnos was killed in the first engagement. He took refuge among the Silures.

In 49 AD, he again attacked the Romans with the help of the Silures and Ordovices. Again vanquished, in a battle in which his wife, daughter, and brother were captured, he took refuge with Cartimandua, the queen of the Brigantes. Unfortunately for him, she did not wish to have problems with the Romans, and that is why she gave him to the Romans.

Brought to Rome, he was pardoned in 51 AD by the Emperor Claudius, following the speech he addressed to him during his triumph. But he could never return to the island of Brittany.

A remarkable quote from Caratacos, for the attention of Emperor Claudius: "If you [the Romans], you want to command the whole world, is this a reason for the whole world to submit to your law?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I propose to get inspiration from the helmet depicted on the Aylesford bucket

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details/collection_image_gallery.aspx?partid=1&assetid=15850&objectid=1360453

image.png.10e3b8fd8cf1a983b809028be09c4adb.png

image.png.ae3fdd93dc1680b2d16a9bc3a73c85a9.png

An interpretation from Angus McBride:

image.png.b089a065d209a0a3c77724339ada86d6.png

Some examples of Swords and Mail armor:

https://myarmoury.com/review_tmpl_celt.html

https://myarmoury.com/nateb_swor_dt201A.html

https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/the-kirkburn-mail-shirt/ngEDUapqcHIuUg

General help for British Iron Age art and patterns:

Spoiler

image.png.4cdbf5f2843f62128e9a4242794db29b.png

image.png.0472ef408105e404f775f812f1826109.png

image.png.0ae3bfdb824bc036ce8e9c1a09ccb5f9.png

image.png.6c3b36cb14ee6bb6a585fb702c902558.png

Edited by Genava55
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dMAthena said:

No never,

Do you want to learn ? :) This way I could show you how to try them in the game :)

So here is a list of what you could work on next its up to you. Do not hesitate if you have doubts about any of those.

• Iphicrates
  • Pericles
  • Xenophon
  • Vercingétorix
  • Nastasen 
  • Harsiotef
  • Arakamani
  • Amanirenas
  • Cunobelin
  • Indibil
  • Seleucus Nikator
  • Antiochos the great
  • Antiochos the righteous
  • Hamilcar
  • Marcellus
  • Maximus
  • Caratacos
  • Philip of Macedonia
  • Chandragupta
  • Darius 
  • Cleopatra
  • Chanakya 
  • Craterus
  • Viriato
  • Caros

3 hours ago, (-_-) said:

How would it look if the shield was a bit more orange-ish? (So it would resemble the shield used for the Briton emblem)

I will try in next version,

2 hours ago, Genava55 said:

The River Thames iron spearhead

I will replace with this style , and thank you for information

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I would say make sure to do these in layers, so that the standard background can be applied. This looks nice though. :) 

Could you please explain it more? do i need to include specific background ? i also applied different layers in photoshop for this portrait

39 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Do you want to learn ? :) This way I could show you how to try them in the game :)

I will get the source/files from my brother if i have to get them, he will help with SVN if its require

39 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

So here is a list of what you could work on next its up to you. Do not hesitate if you have doubts about any of those.

Ok next , i will work on Darius :)

Edited by dMAthena
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, dMAthena said:

Could you please explain it more? do i need to include specific background ? i also applied different layers in photoshop for this portrait

Basically when you will be done upload the psd file and make sure the background is a specific layer and he will be happy :)

9 minutes ago, dMAthena said:

I will get the source/files from my brother if i have to get them, he will help with SVN if its require

It's not required it's merely if you want to see how they look in the game which can be gratifying

9 minutes ago, dMAthena said:

Ok next , i will work on Darius 

Great.

I should put together a pinned thread to keep track of 2D tasks. @wowgetoffyourcellphone Do you have a list of 2D artwork you'd want for the game ?

38 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:
  • Seleucus Nikator
  • Antiochos the great
  • Antiochos the righteous

The transcription is quite inconsistent; either transcribe κ with c and ος with us (Latin style, most common in English and most modern European languages) or κ with k and ος with os (Greek style, uncommon), but do it consistently.

Also, it is quite interesting that in the case of Seleucus I his epithet is left untranslated (Nicator means "Victor"), whereas in the case of Antiochus III it is properly translated (Megas means "the Great"), and in the case of Antiochus IV it is replaced with something completely different (Epiphanes means "manifest" (of gods), "coming suddenly into view", "illustruous", or something similar, but not "Righteous").

Of course I know it's not your fault; there are many inconsistencies in 0 A.D., the result of different people with different ideas committing different things at different times.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, dMAthena said:

@dmzerocold do you have any comment on this? 

58 minutes ago, dMAthena said:

46 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Basically when you will be done upload the psd file and make sure the background is a specific layer and he will be happy :)

Well that portrait can be not just portrait or icon but if you make it into layers it could be main menu background as well. (when you get to first screen when  you start 0AD)

BTW very nice portrait. @stanislas69 I believe also Kushites do not have portraits. Sorry just noticed that they are also in your list.

@dMAthena Also if you would like after you finish these for 0AD you could also take a look at heroes in our mods Terra Magna, Millennium AD and so on. 

Edited by asterix
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nescio said:

The transcription is quite inconsistent; either transcribe κ with c and ος with us (Latin style, most common in English and most modern European languages) or κ with k and ος with os (Greek style, uncommon), but do it consistently.

Also, it is quite interesting that in the case of Seleucus I his epithet is left untranslated (Nicator means "Victor"), whereas in the case of Antiochus III it is properly translated (Megas means "the Great"), and in the case of Antiochus IV it is replaced with something completely different (Epiphanes means "manifest" (of gods), "coming suddenly into view", "illustruous", or something similar, but not "Righteous").

Of course I know it's not your fault; there are many inconsistencies in 0 A.D., the result of different people with different ideas committing different things at different times.

Could you submit a patch for those that I could commit for A24 ? Unless someone has really big concerns it should be a transparent change.

3 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Could you submit a patch for those that I could commit for A24 ? Unless someone has really big concerns it should be a transparent change.

Yes, I do intend to propose some sets of corrections on phabricator, after feature and string freezes are lifted. Right now such patches seem to have difficulty getting committed, e.g. D1342.

Also, it is important to decide on a single style to transcribe Greek (and other ancient languages) in 0 A.D.; in the `SpecificName` strings at least three different transcriptions are currently being used; η is rendered as e, ē, or i and υ as y, u, or i; accents and vowel lengths are indicated iconsistently as well. In my private mod I simply write Greek in Greek, much clearer, and the game has no difficulty in displaying it.

8 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Yes, I do intend to propose some sets of corrections on phabricator, after feature and string freezes are lifted. Right now such patches seem to have difficulty getting committed, e.g. D1342.

Yeah I was planning on getting this done if @Itms doesn't have the time to commit it for a24. Feel free to remind me when the time comes.

10 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Also, it is important to decide on a single style to transcribe Greek (and other ancient languages) in 0 A.D.; in the `SpecificName` strings at least three different transcriptions are currently being used; η is rendered as e, ē, or i and υ as y, u, or i; accents and vowel lengths are indicated iconsistently as well. In my private mod I simply write Greek in Greek, much clearer, and the game has no difficulty in displaying it.

I don't know what was the main idea. If it was merely:
Generic Name : Spearman
Specific Name : Hoplite

Or something more like:
Specific Name : Ὁπλιτης

Or even:

Specific Name : Ὁplitis

I believe the reason it's written in the incorrect alphabet is that it wasn't implemented at the beginning. That's something we really need for 4K resolution. A way to use ttf instead of relying on big pngs. It would also make the asian mods obsolete.

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Thanks for the insight @Nescio. I was struggling to understand what "Epiphanes" meant. Megas and Nicator are quite simple to translate.

The root is φαίνω (phainô) 'bring to light, cause to appear'. Apparently Antiochus was considered to be the manifestation of some god (nothing unusual in Antiquity). Because "Antiochus the Manifestation" might sound weird to modern ears, Epiphanes is occassionally translated as "the Illustrious".

Epiphany actually entered the English language. E.g. January 6, the second most important feast of Yule (the 'Christmas vacation'), when the magi (the 'Three Kings') are said to have visited and recognized the infant Jesus (the manifestation of God on Earth); Epiphany Eve (the evening before) is also known as Twelfth Night (nowadays best know for a play by Shakespeare), because it's the twelfth night after Christmas (premodern counting is inclusive).