I can not destroy enemy buildings?

Fransis

Hello,
I have a problem".
and it is that for a few versions, I imagine that since version 19, I can not kill my enemies.
when I attack enemy cities, to reach their buildings, I change the cursor and I get a flag, which more I give my troops will not destroy enemy buildings, are placed around the enemy buildings but do nothing ...
not that I must do to destroy them? or to catch ??
imagine that opens tried on other occasions, I do not know how it is done, and I had to stop playing this game since I am unable to finish any game.
Can you tell me?
Thank you
  • Like 1

The default action is now for the units to try to capture the building rather than destroy it. At the moment we do not have an animation for this action, so it looks as if they are just standing there doing nothing, but they are actually trying to capture it to make it yours.

If for some reason you would prefer to destroy it you can as Stan mentioned use the Ctrl key when giving them the order to change it to an attack instead. 

hahaha, ok, I knew I had to be silly ....
then although I see that stay next to the building, they are conquering ??
and as you know when you have conquered ?, it turns your color ??
buah! Knowing this, the game mola lot more ...
that you are great !!! This game is amazing, for me the best RTS of history and the free world!
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fransis said:

hahaha, ok, I knew I had to be silly ....
then although I see that stay next to the building, they are conquering ??
and as you know when you have conquered ?, it turns your color ??
buah! Knowing this, the game mola lot more ...
that you are great !!! This game is amazing, for me the best RTS of history and the free world!

Yes, the building have a bar with player color in the user interface, yes have potencial to be one of best. 

• 2 months later...

I have registred just because i wanted to ask: Would you please make the default action for the units to destroy the buildings rather than capture it.Mostly your units try to kill all what they see and then turn to buildings, but AI starts sending more troops and your units cant capture buildings + most of the time they will get destroyed.....

And If for some reason you would prefer to capture it you can use the Ctrl key when giving them the order to change it to an capture instead.

I think capturing needs to be a secondary attack as well. When several enemy catapults are tearing down your buildings and your citizen soldiers can't get over the rediculous cp regen then they'll just let these catapults roll over an entire city, necessitating micro as you have to control click each catapult to save yourself. 

Also, not quite related, but rams still aren't fun to play with or against. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fatherbushido said:

@Rufy Currently building are mainly intended to be destroyed by siege units or captured by infantry and cavalry. So siege units will destroy it and if it's not garrisoned or enough destroyed, you can capture it. One have also the possibility to damage a bit a building with unit but that's the second (alternative) attack.

So, you will not change it? Just want to know if i should keep looking towards to this..... Because this mechanic is usseles as default auto attack - I will explain = When you are in early game you can rush enemy and kill his villagers, capture !!some!! not all of his buildings , but when you are in middle or late game and you attack enemy with 100 infantry and etc. + few siege units and count on that they will start wrecking shi... they split on 3 groups 1. start chasing all enemy units 2. start capturing towers and fricking houses when enemy backstab @#$% out of your troops and lastly 3.siege units start destroying towers what your units are trying to capture with 150 points for you and 450 for enemy and it keeps reseting because AI is still sending units .......... /(Sorry for grammar im tired after hard day)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sphyrth said:

Capturing was nerfed because it was too strong in the previous Alphas. The lower the health of a tower, the easier it is to capture... No matter how many soliders are in it. That's why Siege Weapons play a more important role in Capturing/Destroying buildings.

And AI reacts with transfering a units out of the building. What means the building is quicker captured.

So the argument isn't for the REMOVAL of the feature, but for which should be the DEFAULT.

I'm going with the devs' decision on this for now, since I happen to like it. Archers aren't realistically used for taking down buildings. Siege Weapons are used for that. So the Capturing mechanic makes sense to me.

I might consider voting for Attack-by-Default when Beta comes out... by that time, many people already know of the feature. But if I want an argument for it: make soldiers attack by default and then provide in the FAQ if people want to know "How do you capture buildings?". Sound fair enough?

Edited by sphyrth
  • Like 2

@Rufy I normally set the attack behavior of all close combat units to defensive and all long range (e. g. archers) to the double shield option (I guess is is called "guard" something like that). After, that my close combat units will not chase after enemies or split up and the long range units will shoot everything which is in their range, but will not leave their position to chase after enemies.

You can then destroy all the buildings with sieges or war elephants.

10 hours ago, balduin said:

@Rufy I normally set the attack behavior of all close combat units to defensive and all long range (e. g. archers) to the double shield option (I guess is is called "guard" something like that). After, that my close combat units will not chase after enemies or split up and the long range units will shoot everything which is in their range, but will not leave their position to chase after enemies.

You can then destroy all the buildings with sieges or war elephants.      

Nice tactic and i know about elephants , but i argue about what should be default as attack....

Edited by Rufy

My two cents: 

Personally I prefer destroy as default attack, over capture as well. As is pointed out, capture by default can be annoying at times, forcing unnecessary micro. It seems a bit contradictory, if your siege is destroying buildings and your units are trying to capture those same buildings, even if it makes capturing easier. 

Also, the historical argument for the feature "capture", is something along the lines of "siege equipment was used to destroy buildings, infantry to capture", which I think isn't entirely true. Infantry was regularly used to lay waste to entire regions, burning down, or dismantling everything they came across. Siege equipment is used to get past your enemy's defenses, like walls, towers and castles, but the actual towns were usually destroyed by fire. How many examples are there really of a battering ram being used for anything else than breaking down a gate? For example, the other day I was reading about the Roman conquest of Sarmizegetusa, the capital of Dacia, and how they manually dismantled their stone walls to prevent future rebellion. 

Don't misunderstand me, I think capture is an awesome and unique feature, and should definitely stay in the game. But just not as default, maybe. 

• Like 3

I havejust changed my position regarding this. Although I prefer capture-by-default, I'm going to consider those who are new to the game.

Attacking-by-default is just intuitive gameplay-wise. When you click your units on anything that is "enemy", you EXPECT them to attack it... and not get them to stand close to it and wonder why its HP isn't going down.

If you haven't checked it, a Youtuber named Loud Mics even thought that buildings were having this "blue shields" that made them "immune to attacks", and that Siege Weapons were the only solution to "bypass" those shields. I already explained the Capture mechanic to him, but he let me realize that it's not a beginner-friendly feature.

Hence, against my preference, please attack-by-default.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Default by capture might not be user friendly to most but it's fine with me. I play single player hard and had fun with it. I'm sure for multiplayer it's an added strategy too which is good. I was playing a 1v1 against very hard AI on Mediterran on skirmish and planning just to build a fort behind him on top of the hill and prevent AI from clearing the trees and mines. I left the stockpile for future use in clearing some tree and possibly take some metals but the building turns into Gaia when I deleted the civic center below the hill, I was surprised! Fun enough to find out you can recapture it and can still be used as drop site! 

Captured buildings and garrisoned is one best feature and real too! I know most players are used to have attack and destroy as default but capturing first can add up to strategy. You capture a tower, house, temple, barracks etc and use it. As long as it requires to be garrisoned to stay yours it's nice! If you planned to attack and capturing buildings for your tactical use and use the attack/destroy default more chance that the building will be destroyed. 

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hey, I'm new here so I don't know if my opinion is as valid as the veteran's but I also think that it's a bit strange to have the capturing be the primary action for infantry. I thought for many games that it's only possible to destroy buildings by siege weapons and only after doing some googling and reading posts here I understood that it's not the case. My opinion about the game was at first that it's pretty limiting if that's the only option (siege weapons).

I understand (from the posts) that it might be the preferred default by experienced multiplayer players (capture and delete is a thing I read?), but it's kind of different from any of the games I have been playing in the past (CnC, AoE, EE, RoN...). Of course this can be very different type of game (as said I'm very new), but the experience from the other RTS games kind of creates some expectations of how a new game will play.

After writing this I remember that I skipped the "Learn to Play" option and am now pretty sure you would have mentioned this thing in there :LOL: