balduin

Why not moving to Git?

I am new here and the "issue" with the repository is one of the first things that came up to my mind when I read the getting started guide. I think one of the reasons for using svn pointed out in this discussion was that git has a steep learning curve. And this would hinder new users in participating. However, it might also give the impression that the project is somehwat outdated (which of course it is not). So in my opinion the project should be as attractive as possible to gain the attention of new and good developers which includes going on with newer trends like github or other new alternatives.

One of the other reasons is the amount of binary data we have ie: all the textures are .png so much that github would charge us to store it read their policy about that carefully.And with svn we can and do archive our art source files as well.

Enjoy the Choice :)  

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, TheCake91 said:

I am new here and the "issue" with the repository is one of the first things that came up to my mind when I read the getting started guide. I think one of the reasons for using svn pointed out in this discussion was that git has a steep learning curve. And this would hinder new users in participating. However, it might also give the impression that the project is somehwat outdated (which of course it is not). So in my opinion the project should be as attractive as possible to gain the attention of new and good developers which includes going on with newer trends like github or other new alternatives.

You can stil use github.com 's mirror.  

Thats true and I agree with the inputs. I think maybe a link to this page with a short summary in the build instructions page under "Acquiring the code" would be beneficial. Something like "Why not Github" and a list with reasons like:

• It is much easier to get started with svn
  • The repository contains a vast amount of assets and other ressources that can not easily be hostest on github.
  • We would like to keep full control of our repository.
  • It would take a lot of manpower to migrate to another repository (even a self hosted git repository)
Edited by TheCake91

You can self host with gitlab, no hassle. The only advantage (for me) to use svn over a distributed version control is the partial cloning.

Can do with git as well. It became much more straightforward recently IIRC.

I guess the real deal breaker is the art stuff. Although, it would be awesome to move the code to git. Git maybe harder, but it’s more powerful as well.

Edited by (-_-)

For nearly everything it does not matter whether you use svn or one of our git mirrors. So just choose what you prefer. (The only thing I know, where svn is obligatory, is committing, but that is only needed for staffs)

• Thanks 1