Why do the Forums Get So Quiet Before a Release?

Palaiogos

I think it is fairly logical. The developersare busy with the release itself and there isn't as much activity in general since it was a long time since the last release.

And to some extent I guess people are silent because they feel as if there isn't much value in talking at that point. It's too late to influence the upcoming release, and if you don't follow the development version you don't know ad much about what is to come so it's hard to discuss that as well.

• Like 3

When majority of the active forumers are also involved in the development, it's expected that the forums become quiet when much of the focus is sucked by ensuring the stability of the next alpha.

Don't worry, there are whiners like us who can keep it "alive" to some extent. And, yes, this is one of the drawbacks of Open Source. You just have to get used to it.

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Palaiogos said:

Off topic: What is an out of sync error? What is an in sync error?

0 A.D. uses a (typical for RTS as far as I understand) network model where only commands (rather than entire simulation state) are sent between clients, and the simulation state is calculated on each client independently. Normally the calculation result is exactly the same, but if it differs, let's say due to a bug, the game clients aren't "in sync" anymore and you receive an out-of-sync (OOS) error.

12 hours ago, Palaiogos said:

Off topic: What is an out of sync error? What is an in sync error?

"I remember the days when we played 1vs1vs1 and everyone won in their game because we were OOS :S"

11 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Then I sacrifice goat and two pigeons to your success. 

Ah, so you're voting for clinton? :P:twisted::balrog::torch: Seems to have worked though, as the second release candidate is being packed and tested.

• Like 1