Tunnelers and sappers discussion?

LordGood

I've been thinking, tunnelers would add some much needed ranged siege to Civs that don't have any. 

I was thinking tunnel entrances could be built by citizen soldiers, and only when garrisoned fully (10 troops?), it would produce a slow, low, and powerful building-targeting projectile, perhaps with its own ground decal and particle effect. They'd have the same 100 health and 100%pierce armor as siege as well. They'd cost a lot of wood and take a long time to build. 

This is just brainstorming on my part, let me know what you think. 

• Like 2

IMO all civilizations should have a "ranged siege unit".
"Tunnelers" - not sure about the name, but still - would be suited for all civilizations to have.

(Or at least for those civilizations without any other ranged siege unit)

They could be made buildings rather than units though and thus could also be captured and would not be mobile.
In that case any Citizen Souldier should be able to build them IMO.

EDIT: No unit should have any armor type 100% though ;p

Siege weapons have 100% pierce armor in the new alpha, which works out pretty well, siege weapons are also difficult to capture as it is, tbh I'd rather siege be destroyed easily than be difficult to capture. 

As it is a pack of infantry units will be trying to capture a ballista and not succeeding in the slightest, when the much more direct 'stab it until it dies' approach would have saved several of your own buildings. 

I was honestly never did like capturing being the primary method of attack when available. 

That got off topic, tl;dr I'd rather tunnels not have capture points. 

• Like 2

with 5 troops garrisoned, every 30 seconds it shoots a building-targeting decal projectile at an absurdly slow speed. However, this projectile has a range of 90 meters and does 500 crush damage. 

Like all siege, it's impervious to arrows. It only has 300 health, isn't capturable, and only does 100 damage to other siege tunnels. (Dissuading overuse of counter-tunneling, but still making it a viable tactic)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LordGood said:

with 5 troops garrisoned, every 30 seconds it shoots a building-targeting decal projectile at an absurdly slow speed. However, this projectile has a range of 90 meters and does 500 crush damage. 

Like all siege, it's impervious to arrows. It only has 300 health, isn't capturable, and only does 100 damage to other siege tunnels. (Dissuading overuse of counter-tunneling, but still making it a viable tactic)

Hmmm, interesting as proof of concept, but have some problems. Destroying the shack does not remove the "projectile" after death. Ideally, the "tunnel" should "collapse" or cease to exist if the shack is destroy by the enemy. Also, would be good to see a "trail" like Bugs Bunny or like Rome:Total War. I like seeing the "dust" from the mine entrance (I'm calling it the shack, lol) showing that units are at work inside. I like that. But I think some new mechanics will need coded and using current mechanics has too many problems.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

@Alexandermb  what you think?

I'm not sure if i follow but what is planned is to make a new siege type weapon for attacking "underground" theroical speaking the units dig under the building and attack it, but since thats is not possible from a coding view yet, that means a projectile 100% accurate every certain amount of time like you said, the zerg when they dig and become untargeteable and attack every unit who stands above it (they couldn't see the unit whitout true vision). So the weapon or the tunnel is useless alone, but when garrisoned inside its being used. 

• Like 1