Rogues/Barbarians (as in the Civilization series)

I don't believe I've ever read this idea as I've put it below:

How about we introduced the concept of "Barbarians" or rogue units in 0 A.D. ? If there are parts of the map that are not in any player's territory and under FOW, they can span small bands of gaia units hell-bent and going to your farms and raiding you. Nothing impossible to deal with, but would keep you on your toes.

Possibly as a new game mode?

• Like 4

It's more like the barbarians in Civilization. You're playing normally, but if you have uncontrolled ground in the FOW, you can get barbarians that will harass you.

In 0 A.D., we could occasionally spawn raiding parties of 3 or 4 soldiers. Enough to disturb your farms a little if you're not careful, or your miners outside the base, but not a huge deal.

• 2 weeks later...

After playing caledonian maedow matches that have like 10-15 gaia units between enemies including few champions, I came to the same conclusion, that we need a "survival of the fittest" gamemode that works on every map.

IMO it were sufficient if every map places something like trigger points on land and sea to spawn gaia units. The map scripts would have to ensure that the placement is not unfair.

• Like 3

A "skirmish" object in Atlas that spawn barbarians would be a cool one. Maybe call this mode "Barbarian Invasions"? First must decide this a mode or a game feature? If just a game feature with no other special condition, could just be a toggle thing like treasures in game setup instead of an actual "mode". The game does not have very defined "modes" right now anyway. (game does not have a death match mode yet, and regicide reminds me more of a mode than a victory condition; could have Lightning mode too; if do modes like this, then Barbarian Invasions/Survival of the Fittest would be more like modes that have definded conditions and stuff, but this all take more thinking).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

First must decide this a mode or a game feature?

All victory conditions should become boolean options, so that we can play with an arbitrary set of victory conditions. For the same reason the "last man standing" mode wasn't made some victory condition but consciously setup as a boolean.

The "survival of the fittest " "mode" would just be another checkbox. It also wouldn't become a victory condition because it doesn't have to decide when someone has won.

Same goes for the "nomad" "mode" btw, every map should support that, independent of all other "modes", I hope we can do all of that next for alpha 22 :-)

• Like 2

Indeed it differs from our survival of the fittest map as players still fight between each other. We could add a checkbox to the gamesetup deciding whether the gaia waves should be exponential or stay at a constant level (or perhaps a dropdown giving more choices on the intensity of waves).

This way players could modulate whether it will be some zombie invasion gameplay like survival of the fittest or whether the gaia waves are smaller distractions when fighting the other players like on the "gallic fields" skirmish map.

Btw thanks to fatherbushido gaia-, AI- and other non-player controlled units are now much smarter. They dont capture the first house encountered but walk past buildings to kill the women and infantry, becoming a much more considerable threat r18765

• Like 1