Carthage's triple walls

LordGood

Alright, so as it stands Carthaginian walls are big bulky annoying and expensive. I say, instead of this we actually have 3 different wall tiers?

The current ones could be the Byrsa walls, then we could have good ol city walls, and replace their ability to build palisades with small walls?

"but LordGood, that needs new models"

lets just say I really like messing with the Carthaginian texture pack

but this would be a gameplay change, so I'm wondering what everybody thinks first

• Like 3

I think the trouble is to make them different enough so it's motivated to build more than one kind of wall.

Replacing palisades would make one viable, and one normal one is of course relevant. But how do think we can make the two "normal" walls different enough, without making one of them so good that it will always be used?

It would be cool to have a "last stand" tech which either lets women contribute to building attack and cp regen, or gives houses a small, slow attack. It would encourage the destroying of buildings block by block, which would hold some truth to the actual siege of Carthage. Maybe with such a strong defensive bonus have a unit train time penalty to shift the balance away from offense

• Like 3

I think making them an upgrade makes more sense. That way, the player can build walls earlier without having to wait until they can research because they can upgrade when ready. The fortified wall upgrade in AoK is a good example. If we want the three types of walls to exist concurrently (not have the best type replace the middle wall type), then perhaps we could have an upgrade button on a wall segment. To avoid having to upgrade each piece individually (and avoid mixing graphics that might not look good together), we could make the upgrade button upgrade all linked or connected wall segments and towers.

Edited by WhiteTreePaladin
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, LordGood said:

I don't think that would work, town walls and Carthaginian walls have different footprints and obstruction boxes there would either be gaps or overlapping onto each other and surrounding buildings/units/resources

Making a 3rd tier of wall for Carthage is too much. The game already have this kind of thing with "wooden" towers and "stone" towers being 2 different towers (when the stone should just be an upgrade for the wooden, not 2 different ones). Buildings should not duplicate their uses (in fact, I contemplate just getting rid of palisades as buildable structures in DE). Just my opinion. It would be much cooler to make a new model for the city walls, okay, that is the footprint of the Greek, Egyptian, etc. walls (standard size), and then make another set of new models (same footprint) for the uopgraded "Triple Walls" tech. This would be cool. Game needs more visual upgrading.  The current Carthage walls are comically big and ugly right now anyway. I do like the "low" stone walls you make in that other thread (though they would not be useful for what I propose here).

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, LordGood said:

Here's a crazy idea, what if the walls had auras that would boost each other's hitpoints? That would encourage building them together for a stronger defense/stone ratio

Then walls mazes maybe would be OP. Stacking auras could be limited? That would be a nice addition if not @fatherbushido for next alpha.

I'm for a upgrade and also for a new model with reduced footprint, for a better placement. Also, I would prefer a reduced hitpoint bonus, instead of a triple HP but more expensive walls (if you can't build them, isn't a bonus)

On 4/10/2016 at 9:37 PM, LordGood said:

It would be cool to have a "last stand" tech which either lets women contribute to building attack and cp regen, or gives houses a small, slow attack. It would encourage the destroying of buildings block by block, which would hold some truth to the actual siege of Carthage. Maybe with such a strong defensive bonus have a unit train time penalty to shift the balance away from offense

This could work for Sparta and Celt women. Altough Sparta women can attack, it would be a nice complement for them cause they don't have walls.

• Like 1

@av93 Auras don't stack like that, and I meant more small walls giving larger walls a bonus and reciprocated, not giving themselves bonuses. So a wall maze would be strong, but an unwise spending of stone. Say two temples are built nearly on top of each other, the heal factor is the same as one, even where the auras overlap. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 07/10/2016 at 0:45 PM, LordGood said:

Here's a crazy idea, what if the walls had auras that would boost each other's hitpoints? That would encourage building them together for a stronger defense/stone ratio

I don't think that is necessary.  Having layers of walls is a tactical advantage, no need to buff that with bonuses.

• 2 years later...

Perhaps have palisades have two upgrade options: Fieldworks or reinforced walls. Fieldworks would be able to be built in neutral/enemy territory and would be faster, but would be far weaker. They would be used in combat, so having archers build some fieldworks so melee troops can't hit them easily. Reinforced walls would be stronger and able to garrison 1-2 troops. Finally, ranged troops should not be able to shoot through walls. Just check on a line: if it passes through a wall at any point, the shot only hits the wall.

• Like 1