Suggestions for the priests: sacrifice ability

Tomcelmare

I'd like to know if a new mechanism could be implemented in the game. I think it would emphasize the role of the priests in late game. My idea is to create a technology in temples for the last age,  that enables priests to make a sacrifice with an animal, and that sacrifice could heal a unit that's far away on the battlefield, which means outside the healing range of a priest. It could be done like this: one click on the priest, then right clik on the sheep/cattle, and right click on the unit you want to heal (could be a hero in mortal danger): my idea is that the unit would be instantly and completely healed.

So I've got a couple of questions:

1/ Do you think it's a good idea?

2/ Is it possible to implement such a feature?

It does seem like something that would rarely be used. I mean you would have to first see that a unit needs to be healed (and since it would cost a sheep/cattle it would only really be relevant for heroes and possibly elephants), then find a priest that is not busy, then find a sheep/cattle, then find the unit again. If the unit would still survive that is since going back and forth would take a fair amount of time. To make the most of it you would also only use it when the unit is just about to die (otherwise you would have spent the animal just to get back a few hitpoints), so you would have to spend time waiting. All-in-all, nice idea in theory, but I doubt it's going to be useful in practice.

• Like 3

You made a point, my system is not the best, but I'd like to keep the idea of sacrifice. It could have an area effect of healing, or give invulnerability to a hero for a limited amount of time...or have a totally different effect, like reduce the time construction of buildings...what do you think? 

As a healing ability, I think it is folly. As a attack boost make more sense. Think about a pre-battle sacrifice! It would most likely boost an earmy morale than heal them (if the omens are favorable, of course, lol, but I think a player ability would always be favorable; or else! we make it mildly random that it could be favorable 90% of the time but give slight 10% probably that it could be unfavorable, is interesting!). 

• Like 3

On 3.10.2016 at 0:03 PM, Tomcelmare said:

I'd like to know if a new mechanism could be implemented in the game. I think it would emphasize the role of the priests in late game. My idea is to create a technology in temples for the last age,  that enables priests to make a sacrifice with an animal, and that sacrifice could heal a unit that's far away on the battlefield, which means outside the healing range of a priest. It could be done like this: one click on the priest, then right clik on the sheep/cattle, and right click on the unit you want to heal (could be a hero in mortal danger): my idea is that the unit would be instantly and completely healed.

So I've got a couple of questions:

1/ Do you think it's a good idea?

2/ Is it possible to implement such a feature?

1) No. This is not how the world works. Sacrifices mainly helped the priests staying in the center of peoples attention. That's IMO about it.

2) Yes (but since the ansyer to 1) is "No" somehow irrelevant)

That's one frank answer, thank you!  I don't agree with your reason though. Because the fact that religion was used to drive the attention of masses doesn't necessarily mean that it was of no use in battle. Many armies in campaign would use sacrifices and divination to try to read the omens and make their decision whether to fight or not...or where to strike,  or make sure that the gods were on their side...;)