Civilization proposal: Sinhalese/ Anuradhapura Kingdom

Tomcelmare

I've got this idea since my mom's from Sri Lanka ;)

I've recently read a book about Sri Lanka's history, and I found it so interesting that I really would like to see if someone can make something of it in the game. 

Here's what I've got as a preliminary research:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anuradhapura_Kingdom

https://sirimunasiha.wordpress.com/about/military-history-of-sri-lanka/

The wiki page seems correct to me, at least from what I've read in the book.

Here's the book: https://books.google.fr/books?id=PWbRAqsIJgIC&printsec=frontcover&hl=fr#v=onepage&q&f=false

• Like 1

@Tomcelmare Okay, all of this looks really nice. Now I want to know how much do you really know about this civ. I have no real issue in adding more civs to the roster, especially if new artists arrive to back me up, but I want to be sure that we will find enough material to make a playable 100% civ, with walls, wonders, special buildings, that kind of stuff. For that you need a ROBUST design doc. Are you able to produce such a document ?

If not I'm afraid this will be yet but another way to split the team into too many tasks.

Well, tell me what you need in this doc, and I will try my best to meet the requirements. Maybe other people have some knowledge on this civ too. In terms of buildings, I have lots of material, the difficult part in the units, mostly the special units. I know they used extensively war elephants and mercenaries from South India...I will search for more specific information.

Without wanting to bash your idea but I think that it would be a bit unlogical to add this civ to 1,000 A.D. (considering that this is quite a small kingdom and that there are better candidates that are not in the faction list).

Also you shouldn't open a topic for civilizations that are not on the current faction list (might confuse others). Instead, do a post here to discuss the factions in the mod: 

Well, I know it's a small kingdom, but it's got significative and interesting traits: it's the first buddhist kingdom in all Asia, and remained so for centuries, and it lasted roughly 1 300 years (377 BC - 1017 AD). Few other empires or kingdoms have achieved the same prowess. It's been in relations (commercial and political) with India since the time of Ashoka (the mauryan emperor), China, Khmers, Ptolemies, Greeks, and Romans. Now I understand it's not as famous as other political powers of its time, but it was a power recognized by other nations, and powerful enough to defend itself, and even make some offensives on the asian continent (Burma, and South India for example). It has developped specific architecture traits, and irrigation and pool network unrivalled by other asian nations for centuries. 

Of course, I understand your point, because you've got your list of civilizations, and you obviously didn't think of adding this kind of civ, but I thought it could be an opportunity to give life to an original, and wrongly forgotten civilization: one that has never been introduced before in an RTS game (I know there are others)...

I will discuss about this civ in the topic you showed above (though there have been no news since a year?) I'm not in a hurry, I hope someday, someone will be interested to work on it :) Maybe in a mod of its own...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/11/2018 at 7:51 AM, balduin said:

@Tomcelmare Did you continue to do research about the Anuradhapura Kingdom?

Hello balduin, I'm sorry but I don't have much time these days...I'm working full time and my week ends are mostly spent outside (this saturday being an exception!) What I can say though, is that I've never given up on anything yet, so I will most likely dig deeper into the Anuradhapura kingdom history, when I'll have time.

I agree with you, for a civ to be of interest, you need more materials, more distinctive features. That's what I'm looking for, features that would distinguish sinhalese ancient kingdom from the mauryas in terms of military units, tactics, etc. Unfortunateley, I haven't found that yet...

• Like 2