===[COMMITTED]=== Little wood towers

LordGood

Just now, elexis said:

I'm a bit concerned with the wooden tower icon the title "wooden tower" in the first place, since most of these models look like they include stone. So perhaps we could rename it to light, little or small tower or similar?

Sentry Tower Upgrades to Guard tower, very like AoE Classic.

can be nice buildable in neutral territory, I miss tower rush from Aok. 

• Like 1

I saw the new alpha had a defense tower upgrade on the wee towers. It makes me wonder if we could do a full progression like AOE had, but selectively. And perhaps make defense towers non-buildable, only an upgrade? I gotta say I miss the good ol ballista towers of the original AOE, selective upgrading sounds like it gives just enough control to make defense towers both powerful and balanced. Also selective upgrading from wood towers means we can recycle the defense tower icon. I'm all for renaming the wood tower, in any case. Sentry<guard<defense<ballista?

• Like 5

Ok, so let's go with Guard Tower for alpha 21?

(If one unit can upgraed into another, we have to ensure that the building requirements are met. Outposts can be built everywhere, towers only in own territory. That could be solved by code though (preventing the upgrade if the build requirements are not met).)

• Like 1

Committed "Sentry Tower" in r18786 yesterday. An updated icon could be used (though not essential for this release). Adding stone cost would change the gameplay significantly, even if it's only 25. So perhaps it's good as is for now.

Progression is a nice concept. Also the XP system for units should become more prevalent.

• Like 4