Objectives Screen

Hi guy. I see Objectives screen is in now and it give good information. I been have ideas on how to make this more useful. Behold the attached image. Basically the pop up screen would be title Match Details. Below would be tabs: Objectives, Hints, History, and Settings.

• Objectives: Trigger based list format. Otherwise would show the Victory Condition. In this case, it will say "Defeat all opponents to win", since there are not rhe any other objectives with triggers.
  • Hints: This tab give hints by the designer, like, "Watch out for prides of lions!" or "Look to the East on the morning of the 3rd day."
  • History: Is the current "Match Description." Give a description of the map or scenario, history behind the scenario, context within the campaign, etc.
  • Settings: This list all the other stuff, like Starting Resource, Population Limit, etc. all the other stuff currently show on the screen in a list format.

objectives.jpg

Any thought?

• Like 4

Just now, FeXoR said:

What does "defeat" mean? Isn't this screen about to describe exactly what the victory/defeat conditions are?

So it's more like "Destroy all enemy structures/civic centres/units" or something.

Or am I missing something?

I only took a screenshot of what is currenly in the game. I would not have worded thing the way they currently are. :) I think with you that the victory condition words should be more precise.

Some quick thought on possible organization.possible_tabs.jpg

So, Victory Conditions and Allied Victory parts would definitely go in Objectives tab, but with better wording to be precise as FeXor mentioned. Other things that go in the Objectives tab could be whatever triggered events in the map.

Turquoise part is the info that go in History tab. This is the prose that goes into what the map about.

And then the yellow parts obviously go to Settings tab. I am just not sure where Ceasefire information go -- Settings tab or Hints tab. Regardless, there should be a persist ceasefire counter in the game anyway, so that should be obvious to the player (the current ceasefire counter in upper right is not Gold ready obviously).

• Like 2

Oh, I didn't mean to suggestion that the text should hover above the screen. I meant to show the options without being have to make the tabs in Photoshop. In essentially, I was lazy. lol. But if people loike float text, then that works too.

21 hours ago, GunChleoc said:

I would put the ceasefire with the objectives, since it's related to which actions a player can/should take.

I don't agree. I don't think the ceasefire is part of the objectives of the match. It's more either a setting or a hint.

• Treasures Disabled: Disabled indeed. But I wouldn't want to rewrite the entire settings to change it to Treasure: enabled. That has been weird since the introduction of the DisabledTreasure gamesetting. Also notice Treasure: enabled might be misleading, since it won't place treasure if the map doesn't attempt to. So it would say "Treasure: enabled" without any treasure on most maps even.
  • Ceasefire counter: Also thought about that, but not really convinced that the dialog should be updated onTick rather on init. Also there is a counter in the diplomacy screen and an onscreen overlay. On the other hand, it would fit there actually.
  • Broken in Atlas by the way, as reported by Sandarac. -.-
  • Not convinced of adding tabs until its entirely necessary, as it means people have to spend 4 times more clicks.

8 hours ago, elexis said:
  • Treasures Disabled: Disabled indeed. But I wouldn't want to rewrite the entire settings to change it to Treasure: enabled. That has been weird since the introduction of the DisabledTreasure gamesetting. Also notice Treasure: enabled might be misleading, since it won't place treasure if the map doesn't attempt to. So it would say "Treasure: enabled" without any treasure on most maps even. Does the whole feature need rewritten? Can't just the wway it is displayed to the player be rewritten?
  • Ceasefire counter: Also thought about that, but not really convinced that the dialog should be updated onTick rather on init. Also there is a counter in the diplomacy screen and an onscreen overlay. On the other hand, it would fit there actually. I didn't mean to put the ceasefire counter in this screen.... just the ceasefire setting as it is now. Ceasefire counter should be very visible in the game, IMHO, not tucked into a screen or hidden behind a hotkey. I don't even know why it is an option to turn it off and on. Some things the developers have to decide is important.
  • Broken in Atlas by the way, as reported by Sandarac. -.-
  • Not convinced of adding tabs until its entirely necessary, as it means people have to spend 4 times more clicks. It would be 1 more click since most player is looking for a specific piece of information. If they want to take time reading everything, then they aren't in a hurry and a couple more clicks for the sake of displaying the information in an organized manner is perfectly acceptable.