GUI discussion

av93

Hey guys, I bring some screenshots of other games to show different approaches of GUIs

·Dawn of War 1

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

·Age of Empires III

Spoiler

screen3.jpg

·Starcraft II

Spoiler

dronem.jpg

·0 ad

Spoiler

screenshot0001.png

That are a little bit old RTS (haven't take a look into new ones like Grey Goo

Right know the GUI doesn't fill all the screen. (Just pointing). I would suggest to move all buildings into a submenu like Starcraft or Age of Empires 1/2, and then, move all the actions that under the unit/s icon in the center, to the right panel. I Just feel the GUI a little bit crowded.

What do you thing?

• Like 1

We currently support 1024x768 and up. This limits what we can do. We could stretch the GUI across the screen, but we wouldn't be able to take advantage of the extra width because we have to fit everything within 1024 pixels. We considered having multiple layouts awhile back, but determined that it would be too much maintenance for very little gain.

I personally like the minimal GUI in AoE3 myself. I find it a bit more usable than the full AoE3 GUI shown in that screenshot.

Edited by WhiteTreePaladin
  • Like 2

Well then 1280 can be the minimum width. You will have the discussion again in 5 years and the "significant" amount of users on 1024x768 will have drop to something like 1%. (that data is 2 year old, I do not think your new data will show 5.6% on 1024x768 anymore).

Just saying if you want to upgrade the GUI, then a width increase can be justify.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

Also there could be the possibility of making stances and formations submenus and move them to the right panel.

The benifits would be less crowding with some unit commandos in the center panel with small icons. Also In the image that i have uploaded of 0 A.D I think it lacks back to work and patrol. Melee/Ranged stance for units with 2 kind of attacks should be in mind also.

I think that would be nice to add an aura icon on the left panel (If all building are moved to a submenu) in a Warcraft 3 aura  style like with the passive abilities. If you hover in the icon, this would show you the technical numbers of the aura.

Just personal opinion

There is a Back to Work function. It only appears on certain conditions. The Patrol function is still being worked on.

Concerning a Sidebar Design: Coming from Red Alert, I can say that it's fine. But I don't know how intuitive that is for 0 A.D.

The UI Design is quite a task.