Hey guys , here are some suggestions on alphabet "U"

"Uchered"

"Ubeluiuo"

"Udolph"

"Ueqorigas"

"Ulcagnus"

"Ulfred"

"Ulvelaik"

these are some name suggestions from my side. may be it "ll help you. hope you "ll like it. Thanks.

Alpha 19 was codenamed "Syllepsis" (meaning "Capture") because the capture feature was implemented.
Alpha 20 was codenamed "Timosthenes" (a famous cartographer) because there were a lot of additional maps.

I would like to come up with a name for Alpha 21 myself, but I barely witness what really goes on with the development to suggest anything.

Include a short description with each suggestion and we will make the justification ;) Maybe there are connections which you yourself can't find, or maybe a name is good enough to make it worth having anyway. And the connection can be to something other than the specific release. :) So don't let it hold back your suggestions. 

• Like 1

Hi! I have some names starting with the letter "U" to propose :

Urbinus : a city in Marche. It was a celtic-marche city in the northern part of Italy. It was conquest by the romans and renamed Urvinum Mataurense. It was an influent city in the art of Renaissance.

Uranus : the roman equivalent of Ouranos. He is the primordial god of the sky in the greek and roman mythology. He is with Gaia the common ancester of all the other gods

Urania : daughter of Zeus and Mnemosyne. She is the Muse of astronomy.

Ulysses : no description needed. ^_^

I found 2 other names :

Unut : It was an Egyptian snake goddess. She came from the fifteenth Upper Egyptian province and was worshipped with Thoth at its capital Hermopolis (in Egyptian: Wenu). Originally, she had the form of a snake. Later she was depicted with a woman's body and a hare's head. She was taken into the cult of Horus and later of Ra.

Uneg(or Weneg) : It was a sky and death deity in ancient Egyptian religion, who was said to protect the earth and her inhabitants against the arrival of the "great chaos". Thanks Wikipedia for both descriptions :thumbup:

I prefer the other propositions I made and I don't see which meaning can be found with this. Also, because there are few names in "U" I still propose them.

Some cities in the Mauryan Empire sart with U in Latin script:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/Maurya_Empire%2C_c.250_BCE_2.png

Udegolam: famous for the minor edict of the emperor Ashoka found in the village.

Ujjain:

An ancient city situated on the eastern bank of the Kshipra River, Ujjain was the most prominent city on the Malwa plateau of central India for much of its history. It emerged as the political centre of central India around 600 BCE. It was the capital of the ancient Avanti kingdom, one of the sixteen mahajanapadas. It remained an important political, commercial and cultural centre of central India until early 19th century, when the British administrators decided to develop Indore as an alternative to it. Ujjain continues to be an important place of pilgrimage for Shaivites, Vaishnavites and followers of Shakta.[2]

In the Mauryan period, Ujjain remained the administrative centre of the region. From this period, Northern Black Polished Ware, copper coins, terracotta ring wells and ivory seals with Brahmi text have been excavated.[8] During the reign of his father Bindusara, Ashoka served as the viceroy of Ujjain.[11] Ujjain was subsequently controlled by a number of empires and dynasties, including the Shungas, the Western Satraps, the Satavahanas, the Guptas and the Paramara. The Paramaras shifted the region's capital from Ujjain to Dhar.[6]

Edited by GunChleoc
Typo
  • Like 1

"Utopia" - The word comes from the Greekοὐ ("not") and τόπος ("place") and means "no-place", and strictly describes any non-existent society 'described in considerable detail'. However, in standard usage, the word's meaning has narrowed and now usually describes a non-existent society that is intended to be viewed as considerably better than contemporary society. Eutopia, derived from the Greek εὖ ("good" or "well") and τόπος ("place"), means "good place", and is strictly speaking the correct term to describe a positive utopia.

Couldn't think of words related to the victory game modes, so I focused on the remodelled structures of the Seleucids and Ptolemies.

50 minutes ago, GunChleoc said:

The cities of Ur and Uruk were both part of the Seleucid empire, but they had their heyday long before that.

Uruk was the city of Gilgamesh, king of Uruk. Gilgamesh is the hero of the oldest epic poem which has been found. It tells Gilgamesh's quest for immortality. At the end he founds not immortality but wisdom. Even if I don't find any meaning for the alpha 21 in this, it's still a good idea.

• 3 weeks later...
On 27 August 2016 at 1:24 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

What is the main new feature for this alpha? This can help guide discussion of alpha name.

The topmost I can see are:

1. New Models for Seleucid structures
  2. New Game Modes

But for the sake of suggesting,

Ulva -  an island in the Inner Hebrides of Scotland, off the west coast of Mull. It is separated from Mull by a narrow strait, and connected to the neighbouring island of Gometraby a bridge. Much of the island is formed from Cenozoic basalt rocks, which is formed into columns in places.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Tiber7 said:

Which name did you choose? I'm curious ^_^

We haven't decided for sure yet, but I'm personally leaning towards wanting it to be Ulysses since we've added the Herocide/Regicide game mode. It would also give us a chance to discuss briefly how the names of heroes/gods differed between Greek/Latin, and mention how in some languages the one version is used and in others the other. It's always nice when the name gives us a chance to teach about history :)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, sphyrth said:

Hope the devs are doing okay. The sudden surge of backlogs concerns me.

We always do that before a release, we can't have unfinished tickets for a release and not all things are possible to finish (or important enough to delay the release for). Tickets which are up for review are put on the upcoming Alpha until just before a release, then they are moved on to the next release or put on backlog.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...