===[COMMITTED]=== Pig

Stan`

Just a Texture paint of the pig, to be more photorealistic, reference is a wikicommons file, inspiration comes from other 3d boars on the web. One item gone on my list.

Here is a comparison :

post-12287-0-69363000-1411246272_thumb.p

Here is a new Icon (Included in the zip)

post-12287-0-24239900-1411246229_thumb.p

Here are the files If someone's interested

Pig.7z

NB : It's not rigged.

• Like 5

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

After seeing this pig without any animation I decided to make an attempt at animating it.

I would like to do a walking animation (http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3879) and maybe some others if needed. I am a hobbyist so I will need feedbacks on this.

I have started (and finished) to rig the existing model in Blender before thinking that a pig is very close to a boar. My first question is : do you think it is possible to reuse the boar skeleton (and adapt it) to use the same walking animation or should I keep my rig and animate from scratch ?

I also had to add some tris (6, I think) because the bottom of the feet were not filled.

Spoiler

pig_preview.png

pigsave3.blend

I'm not an artist, but I think it's best to reuse armatures as much as possible. At least the game was made to allow such reusage (by having separate skeleton definitions). Naming the bones the same in the pig as in the boar would allow you to reuse the actual animation normally.

It is possible however that the boar skeleton isn't good enough to current standards, and that you would like to redo both at once.

The boar animations are good. The skeleton seems good too.

In theory boars and pigs are quite similar but the models are different so the skeletons also look different. In fact when putting them side to side it's difficult to see how it could be adapted. Has anyone already done that ?.

Spoiler

pig_boar_compar.png

Edited by yhoyhoj

Apparently the search function doesn't work for me. My search didn't turn up anything with the word "pig". But I should have known it wasn't normal.

So apparently the work is almost done on this. The boar animations doesn't look to bad on the pig model. I could try to improve your model @stanislas69 even though it's a bit less fun to do.

You really did a great job with these animations, hopefully I hadn't worked too much on my own version. I have corrected 2 small issues I found : a couple duplicate vertices (likely created when mirroring) and a deformation at the bottom of the neck in the walk animation. I have also added groin movements in the idle animation. Maybe overdone though.

What is stopping it from being added to the next release ?

Pig4.7z

• Like 1

Don't expect too much ! My experience in animation making is very limited.

I have made another walk animation, it looks slightly better but it is not professional quality either. And I feel I am missing something important and that it will not work correctly.

Here is a gif comparison of the two animations : https://imgur.com/a/Jxweg (I couldn't upload them here).

Somehow the texture placement is broken when rendered in Blender... It is displayed correctly in the viewport, though.

• Like 1

I am not sure but the problem with four legged animals is that they always stand on more than 1 legs. There is always a risk of legs looking like they are sliding on the ground while the other legs don't move. The keyframes are realistics (two legs on the ground) but it must be tested with a real movement.

I need to add one or two keyframes to correct the exaggerated front left leg movement but apart from that, what do you think ?

• 1 year later...