Render Dump

Stan`

4 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Obviously not. Don't get me wrong I'm not offended just very disappointed in myself not being able to go past the you're good but it's not enough thing. Makes me question the whole thing everytime, and I'm stuck at the same point.

you have improved a lot, I think. You're not alone in the frustration, it's the same for me with the guitar as an autodidact.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Obviously not. Don't get me wrong I'm not offended just very disappointed in myself not being able to go past the you're good but it's not enough thing. Makes me question the whole thing everytime, and I'm stuck at the same point.

Is very complicated even me can't  handle  this, the best way is try harder and study others game textures.

textures needs of drawer and painter...

@LordGood used draws in his textures instead of photo.

12 minutes ago, LordGood said:

no no, texture making is a conglomerate of modelling/rendering photomanipulation and painting, and only then if no suitable textures can be found. Best case is to make dummy models for civic, rural, and military buildings, then edit the pack until it looks right

It's true, I forgot the re-use from a 3D render to do a effect.

@stanislas69 I think the model looks just like a building that would have stood in the Thracian Seuthopolis. You did a great job! As with everything in 0AD, the job is never done... You've definitely improved a lot, from what I've seen. I'm no expert, but I think textures are pretty hard, even for the most experienced artists. I think the texture on your tower looks really good by the way!

Can you create the missing bump texture and take a screenshot of it in-game at the default camera angle, not just a render?

I agree the tower looks very good. (I'd also like to see a screenshot of it in-game with a few units/trees placed next to it. Think about a good background environment that complements the tower's textures, rotate the sun so that it enhances the shadows, create a fake scene with a couple of units for scale, etc.)

• Like 2

You really cant beat sunsets for screenshot staging lol. Orange light does the job of unifying a texture pack's color palette, but that's a given with nearly everything. When you do balance your pack I suggest you do so under neutral light and with local terrain textures(as you have here). Careful where your shingles curl over, especially on the temple.

I think you can do something interesting with the temple akroteria too, triangles don't really do the rest of it justice, even if you just round them off. Early Persian assets had a similar jagged issue. Such sharp angles seem blatantly poly-conservative. even if its not intended. That's generally why you see me round off the corners of my plaster and rough stone buildings more than I ought to.

I would also explore Lion's suggestion regarding pediment paintings or sculpture, obviously none of that would have survived the ages, so wouldn't be present in any historical reconstruction, but we have that kind of extended artistic license here. I say work with contemporaries and neighboring culture's contemporaries, if you cant find anything from the time, move backwards from the time period rather than forwards, being more old school tends to fit the classical scene better, especially considering the rural scene you picked. (tombs might hold some clues to wall decoration but I haven't looked into it, myself)

I say the most important part is to have fun with it, you have a really interesting set ahead of you, and if your sources stray in one way or another just remember to keep the whole thing coherent, because like many of the architectural packs we've done for 0 AD before, it can really be done in any number of ways... but stick to one. From what I see here you don't have a problem with that at all.

(also having one artist finish a whole pack makes the whole coherence thing a non-issue, different artists will have different visions of the end result (also explains my bad habit of plowing through architecture sets as quickly as I can))

still, that's a badass defense tower. I love me some towers. Just enough building to be fun.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...