Out of Memory issues (Make 0ad Large-address-aware)

Stan`

Today, I ran into some trouble playing on a map I'm updating (#2881) which made it impossible for me to test it. My Ram would go from 1GB used to 1.5GB and then crash, no matter what, I asked @andy5995 to test it and that ran fine without errors on his linux laptop (Enjoy the choice) though it also peaked up at 1.5GB, So I googled a bit and found this tool https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/ which basically allows 0ad to use more ram since I have a 64bit machine I applied it on pyrogenesis, and voilà, no more out of memories issues, and memory peaks at 1.6GB before going back to 1.0GB, so i guess it's stacking something every turn ? and that consumes too much memory. Maybe @Itms or @wraitii or @leper or @historic_bruno might know more about it. Good thing is that fixes my issue, don't know if that causes issues with multiplayer though, so as always, test it at your own risks.

Maybe this is something we can put in our code.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

EDIT 1: It seems to also fix the big screenshot issue on windows  (#1619)

EDIT 2: Memory goes up to 2GB

Edited by stanislas69
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I played the modified Corinthian Isthmus (4) map on Windows a couple days ago.

I didn't see any error messages in the console like the ones shown in the description of #1619.

As far as using the term "crash", I think we need to be more specific. Stan, do you get a window with a white background that pops up first? Gives a generic message (apparently generated by a 0 A.D. error-trapping routine) about encountering an error, and the buttons "continue" and "break" at the bottom.

After I hit continue, I get a Windows dialog about encountering a problem and needing to close 0 A.D.

I'm no expert, but I'm not convinced this is related to #1619.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...