[Random Maps] Placement of thing

Hi guys. So, I try the new Red Sea map and it is very very nice. I like the big forests and I like the terrain design (maybe add the blowing sand actors in the desert sections and use the sand dune terrain texture). It is a very good map.

But once again, it have placement of starting resource right next to Civic  Center and I think this is something that should change for almost all map. I think it maybe okay that some berry bushes be near the Civic Center, but stone and metal should be away from the Civic Center, not right in front of it. You should want the player to place a storehouse or granary IMHO. Have to look around for the stuff instead of it being right there.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

You always need to find a good compromise between a balanced map and a good looking one.

When the mines are placed right next to the CC, you're making it more balanced. When you place then further, on random terrain, there's a chance the mines can be placed there due to the terrain, or even cause the mines to be not reachable directly. Thus causing a real imbalance.

In short, improvements are welcome, but it's not always as easy as it sounds.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sanderd17 said:

You always need to find a good compromise between a balanced map and a good looking one.

When the mines are placed right next to the CC, you're making it more balanced. When you place then further, on random terrain, there's a chance the mines can be placed there due to the terrain, or even cause the mines to be not reachable directly. Thus causing a real imbalance.

In short, improvements are welcome, but it's not always as easy as it sounds.

I do not say it is easy, but it is not so hard, it just take a team member dedicated to this kind of thing to put some time into it, but as we all know time is short on supply in volunteer projects. Honestly, it is reason I almost always play skirmish map because this kind of thing is easier to handle in the map editor. It's not just about the looks either, it is about the gameplay. A balanced map can be easy create in the Atlas editor and still look nice too, where as you say with random map script it is not easy. That is why I ask for randomized possibilities in Atlas. Maybe we can brainstorm, but some thing come to mind is mine placement and starting point placement.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

I checked the dust. It would be a great addition, but the color doesn't match the ground texture and I'm not willing to change the ground texture.

@stanislas69 But maybe somone can create a variant of that actor which matches that color? I see some color tempering in those files, so hopefully there won't be a new image needed, just some color mapping?