Can't run 0ad on Kali 2.0 after install

aquashift

I am trying to run 0ad on the Kali 2.0 rolling distribution.  The package comes in the official distribution repository.

It installs just fine with

apt-get install 0ad

All the necessary packages install, and the apt-get command exits with no error status.

However, typing

0ad

anywhere in a terminal will not yield anything, nor is there an init script for 0ad in my /usr/bin folder.

To execute the 0ad startup script, I have to go to my /usr/games directory.

This works, sort of:

cd /usr/games
su -c ./0ad aquashift

aquashift is a user i created with no root access so I can execute the 0ad startup script.

0ad spits out an error message when I try running it with root privileges.

When I do try to initialize 0ad with no root privileges, though, I get this big error log:

root@KandA:/usr/games# su -c ./0ad aquashift
Cache: 400 (total: 5789) MiB
TIMER| InitVfs: 2.47756 ms
TIMER| CONFIG_Init: 2.2397 ms
connect(2) call to /dev/shm/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)
attempt to connect to server failed
AL lib: (WW) ALCjackBackendFactory_init: jack_client_open() failed, 0x11
AL lib: (WW) alc_initconfig: Failed to initialize backend "jack"
No protocol specified
xcb_connection_has_error() returned true
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/0) is not owned by us (uid 1000), but by uid 0! (This could e g happen if you try to connect to a non-root PulseAudio as a root user, over the native protocol. Don't do that.)
No protocol specified
AL lib: (WW) alc_initconfig: Failed to initialize backend "pulse"
No protocol specified
xcb_connection_has_error() returned true
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/0) is not owned by us (uid 1000), but by uid 0! (This could e g happen if you try to connect to a non-root PulseAudio as a root user, over the native protocol. Don't do that.)
No protocol specified
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4292:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4292:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4292:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4771:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2266:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
AL lib: (EE) ALCplaybackAlsa_open: Could not open playback device 'default': No such file or directory
ERROR: Sound: AlcInit failed, m_Device=0x0 m_Context=0x0 dev_name=OpenAL Soft err=a005

TIMER| shutdown ConfigDB: 1.715 us
ERROR: OpenAL error: (null); called from ~CSoundManager (line 277)

TIMER| resource modules: 304.678 us
TIMER TOTALS (9 clients)
-----------------------------------------------------
  tc_png_decode: 0 c (0x)
  tc_dds_transform: 0 c (0x)
  tc_pool_alloc: 62.053 kc (2x)
  tc_transform: 0 c (0x)
  tc_plain_transform: 0 c (0x)
  tc_ShaderGLSLLink: 0 c (0x)
  tc_ShaderGLSLCompile: 0 c (0x)
  tc_ShaderValidation: 0 c (0x)
  xml_validation: 0 c (0x)
-----------------------------------------------------
TIMER| shutdown misc: 272.678 us
Cache: 400 (total: 5789) MiB
TIMER| InitVfs: 143.171 ms
TIMER| CONFIG_Init: 1.63005 ms
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4292:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4292:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4292:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4771:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2266:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
AL lib: (EE) ALCplaybackAlsa_open: Could not open playback device 'default': No such file or directory
ERROR: Sound: AlcInit failed, m_Device=0x0 m_Context=0x0 dev_name=OpenAL Soft err=a005

No protocol specified
ERROR: SDL library initialization failed: No available video device
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'PSERROR_System_SDLInitFailed'
  what():  System_SDLInitFailed
Aborted

I found out that the Jack it's talking about is a sound server used for making real-time audio. 

There is also a pyrogenesis executable in the same folder, and running it the same way I ran the 0ad file yields the exact same error message verbatim.

Can anyone help me please?

I can confirm I have sound on every app I've tried so far (around 25).  I think you are correct in your assumption that the dependencies for Kali are not up-to-date.  I am not sure if I have SDL installed because I am ignorant of what it is.  I'll research it and get back to you.

We strongly advise against running apps like 0 A.D. as root. It can cause serious security issues, and a crash in 0 A.D. can even mess up your entire system that way.

However, it is indeed possible that libraries as ALSA are configured for the root user but not for the other user.

I downloaded the uncompiled files for linux, downloaded all the dependencies listed : HERE,

and managed to get it to work.  If anyone else is using the Kali 2.0 distribution and wants to run 0ad, as of July 18th, 2016, the package that comes with the standard repos will not work.  Instead download the game from Debian Jesse distribution site HERE,

then follow the instructions on the first link I gave in this post.

Thanks.

• Like 2

That Debian link will give you our alpha 17 version the current version is 20 there is a ppa for 0ad that is pointed to on the download page which is what is recommended for 'buntu based distro's or since you have already built the game pulling the svn or git repos might be of interest to you ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)

Edited by Loki1950
spelling
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2016 at 10:27 PM, aquashift said:

I downloaded the uncompiled files for linux, downloaded all the dependencies listed : HERE,

and managed to get it to work.  If anyone else is using the Kali 2.0 distribution and wants to run 0ad, as of July 18th, 2016, the package that comes with the standard repos will not work.  Instead download the game from Debian Jesse distribution site HERE,

then follow the instructions on the first link I gave in this post.

Thanks.

@aquashift, sounds like you did a good bit of troubleshooting. Did you find 0 A.D. pretty easy to build?

I have Debian Jessie 8 and use the backports repo for the latest pre-packaged version (I also have an svn version installed). At the time of writing this, 0.0.20 is available. To use backports, the simple instructions are at https://play0ad.com/download/linux/