The project Celeste : the revival of AoEO[updt]

Project Penelope is released!

What is Project Penelope

There was a version of the Age of Empires Online from long before release that had a scenario editor built in. This part of the code wasn't intended to be accessed and was locked away in more recent versions. This editor allowed you to place units, make a map, and click "playtest" which gave you a way to play the Age of Empires Online. Project Penelope is the return of this game version and only allows you to access this editor.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
New name. Updated.

• 7 months later...

I like the advisor thing at the beginning. If 0 a.d. did something like that, it  could be done in the game setup, and players can make presets or decks of advisors.

I'm think it could be free heroes that spawn at the beginning of each phase. Instead of training the heroes from fortresses. Provides opportunity to give each faction many many more hero choices, and the decks of heroes creates a meta level for the game.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I like the advisor thing at the beginning. If 0 a.d. did something like that, it  could be done in the game setup, and players can make presets or decks of advisors.

I'm think it could be free heroes that spawn at the beginning of each phase. Instead of training the heroes from fortresses. Provides opportunity to give each faction many many more hero choices, and the decks of heroes creates a meta level for the game.

Like a Hero CBA?

Easier explanation:

CBA stands for Castle Blood Auto, each player has 4 castles, each castle spawns one of it's unique units after a set amount of time (depends on the civilisation), after you get a decent amount of units, send em out and try to take out your opponents, getting a raze (destroying a building) will get you villi's after a certain amount of times. It really ends up being quite a team game, and it's really fun sometimes, pretty crap other times.

1 minute ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

No, that's not what I meant at all. lol. How is what I suggested like a Blood map in any way?

The castle, the heroes, that I think is similar.

I know what a Blood map is quite well. My favorite Blood-style map from the MSN Gaming Zone days was Hooters Hood.

No, what I was suggesting is having a "deck of cards" system similar to that AOEO video from Rofl -- or like AOE3. Each 0 A.D. civ could have 10+ heroes to choose from and players can have premade decks of them -- one hero for each phase of the game, hopefully moddable to 4+ phases -- and the player would get these heroes when they phase up in the game. Based on the deck of heroes you choose you get those heroes when you play the game.

So, Persians could have a bunch of Persian heroes to pick from, but the player can only choose 3 -- or 4 for DE -- and assign them to a phase. I imagine in a herocide game, the hero you get at the beginning would be randomized from the 3 or 4 heroes you have in the deck you chose during match setup. In most other gametypes you get a hero at the start and a new hero each time you phase.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

Now I remember can be nice have a deck to customize whole faction at the biggining. Special they, abilities, special units, some support units and even some historically features, if a Empire focus in cavalry or infantry or if the faction becomes in another.

example Romans Imperial turning into Western Roman Empire. Or Seleucid becomes Pontus Kingdom (claiming independence) and access to exclusive Pontus units.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/02/2017 at 10:46 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

CBA is a AoE2 map. Is very addictive. 

These maps are the ones I mentioned in the trade discussion. They have trading on one protected island and battles on another and in some cases it's clearly only the trade carts that can be producing lag. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I remember playing AoEO when it was still in beta, had a lot of fun with it. But they added so many premium content which made me lose interest in the game.

Will definitely try this out, but I saw that you currently need a key so I guess I'll have to wait. :P

Edited by Krypton117

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
1 minute ago, av93 said:

I think that AoEO it's a good example and inspiration source for asymetric design (but very ahistorically in art design)

I can give the art style a pass, but some of the dumbass units make me scratch my head too much. Plus some of the dumb perks like slapping units with wet tuna fish...

• Thanks 1