Empires Apart. ==Freemium==

5 hours ago, Prodigal Son said:

That would be nice indeed! Then grass, sand and rock colours could be chosen for the minimap to not mix much with green, yellow and grey player (etc) and make it much cleaner terrain-wise.

I just mentioned the differences, didn't claim they were necessarily better and it's possible that they are optional in EA. An optional inclusion of such a feature and player-coloured bars might be a good idea though. I also agree that a GUI of that philoshopy would be good for 0 A.D., perhaps with some minor ancient-themed details to make it not that plain.

They are minimalistic (conceptual) the GUI is very polish. better than AoE DE in my opinion. mostly of work its done by icons, easily to recognize because simplicity and universality.

50 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

They are minimalistic (conceptual) the GUI is very polish. better than AoE DE in my opinion. mostly of work its done by icons, easily to recognize because simplicity and universality.

It's nice and clean but maybe a little too minimal for my taste or 0 AD. Not sure though, haven't played EA so far nor I can exactly imagine it in 0 AD.

25 minutes ago, Prodigal Son said:

It's nice and clean but maybe a little too minimal for my taste or 0 AD. Not sure though, haven't played EA so far nor I can exactly imagine it in 0 AD.

Depends of many things mostly of conceptual icons are full effects and texturized.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

If that was trigger able it would be nice for tutorials and campaigns. I'm afraid we can't implement that without blood sweat and tears...

Just make a god ray actor/entity with particles (assuming that would be easy) and let the trigger spawn it?

• Like 2

This point sounds interesting.

For a game based on history it is only appropriate to point out that past games that begin this poorly are normally abandoned. The reason is simply, this is a gaming company and no matter how passionate their developers are, if their player base is small and they can’t get it grow they will be losing money on a product. And like any other business you can’t function if you don’t get income from your products or you don’t have the reserves to fund a failing project in a hope that one day it takes off. With Age of Empires 4 and other RTS games coming not to mention games like North Guard and They are Billions that are currently out, very functional, and have a very different approach to the RTS style, it is difficult to see any other outcome than the forced abandonment of this game.

Overall the game lacks a lot of polish and finish. AI is terrible and spent whole game making useless buildings which it deleted randomly later on. I am currently requesting a refund.

Some may find enjoyment with this as it is almost a reskin of Age of Empires II (so similar I am surprised they are not in trouble for blatent copying). This Despite the updated graphics, combat has very basic animations and the game is not enjoyable to look at. I am fine with the overall look of the game, but I am saying some parts and animations just do not look finished.

----The only thing missing is a good single player campaign mode, it does have ai skirmish options, but as of this review the ai does need a little extra work. The devs are aware of both problems and have promised free updates and dlc support for the foreseeable future.--- positive review----

:....

Multiplayer focused, fast paced medeival RTS made by an indie dev containing of like two people.

At the moment poorly performance.
Normaly games with this art style a known for his smooth gameplay.

Sadly there are some issues at the moment with amd CPU's,
I got the recommand specs, only my cpu is little bit weaker, but better then "minimum" specs.
If the game Run's on the start with High/ultra graphic settings on 140 fps constantly.
but if the game goes longer, and some buildings /units are on the field, the fps goes down to 10-15.

basicly i lost with every 10-15 population increase (with some buildings 10-15 fps.
In the End i was playing with 10 fps , and i was not even close to maxout, and i could build alot of more stuff, if the game would not lag so much .

Sadly i cannot recommand this game atm.
I really hope they fix this performance issues. Atleast for me there 2 important things for a RTS game.

1.) good hotkeys, or the ability to change it -> its aviable here.

2.) Smooth gameplay, no lags! no pathing issues -> this is not aviable at the moment.

• Sad 1

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 4:07 PM, TheLyraki said:

yeah its very bad without shadows....but otherwise, in maxed out graphics (yeah, sounds weird in this case) it looks good! then again, maybe its time for me to stop watching animus to improve my art appreciation skills xD 

Mostly of people suggested this, I'm know this historical game doesn't must to be to intense.

But the terrain must be have perspective because after play few minutes you lose the real world perspective.

2428187-render_town_11.jpg

First, lets talk about the technical aspect. It's terrible. Bad pathfinding, unplayable framerates, regular crashes. The A.I. is the worst, regardless of the focus on multiplayer.

Gameplay wise, this is a decent but extremely predictable formula. It basically feels like a AOE II-clone, but one that was made by a few youngsters in their garage rather than by a full team of RTS veterans. Except for the very interesting take on the different factions (which I'd say is the one real positive point), everything feels like the lesser version of an old classic.

Finally, the most surprising thing is how bad the graphics are. Although they look great at first, functionally they are worthless. Put any mix of units together and they will visually start blending in together, making it very hard to see which is which. This becomes a real problem once you try to micro manage your unit types against the enemy.

In summary: an honest but failed attempt to update Real Time Strategy, a technical disaster, and a work full of rookie mistakes.

I like this about the unbalance game play with Mongols and Rush.

Bad game for me. Very unbalanced and only rush works, defense units are garbage. Game is very fast and the only tactic that works is attack in 4 minutes moving horses. Pikes don't work. Defense is very weak. Very disappointed with games mechanics. I don't understand how has been released this fast food garbage by sliltherine with marvelous games like close combat with good time action mechanics, this crazy fast paced unbalanced it's not fun. This is not age of empires 2 like, is more like age of empires online multiplayer crap but worse. You are advise. To finish, a good song music is ruined with poors and nonexistent game sounds.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

review from AoE forum.

Spoiler

+1
I am really, really glad steam has refunds, its just incredible how many trash developers do disgrace RTS genre. Why do developers today, design RTS games people don't want ?

Here is another example of today development mentality.
Empires Apart "AoE2 clone" massively failed.just 3,531 sold copies lol

http://steamcharts.com/app/530630
http://steamspy.com/app/530630
http://store.steampowered.com/app/530630/Empires_Apart/

Yeah if you look there in steam into reviews, you do see pretty well how a big chunk of garbage was put together and tried with nostalgia hype to get people to buy a completely broken game.

-you can't even play the game, because you do too fast run out of resources
-AI doesn't even work properly
-no story mode at all

Still it does get ratings like 80 from IGN.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/empires-apart

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://steamcharts.com/app/530630#48h

nah
no.. no.. no.. stop talking about empires apart, it's not a labor of love, it's not a spiritual successor, it's not expanding on the idea of age of empires 2 it's taking the recognizable and iconic aspects of age of empires 2 to bait its playerbase and putting this cheap budget unity template structure with low-poly models in it adding default RTS features to it we don't have in age of empires 2 because the formula doesn't need it

• 2 weeks later...

When honest reviews come up, I can't help but compare how 0 A.D. tries to handle the issues. I mean it's basically saying "Empires Apart is a bad AoE clone because it's far too close." While in here, "0 A.D. is a bad AoE clone because it's going too far astray... to the point of you don't know how it should be played."

And in about 1 minute into the video, he criticizes the counter system, while we're debating whether it should be put back or not. But to be fair, he said simple counter system. I mean, I haven't really played Empires Apart but is the counter system really so simple that it deserves criticism?