Empires Apart. ==Freemium==

An more than hour this guy takes to find a matchmaking.(?)

Spoiler

Multiplayer is absolutely not active, do not buy this game if you want to have a decent multiplayer experience. I was searching 72 minutes (!!!) for a ranked game, as you can see in this video:

Vídeo de YouTube™: Empires Apart queue on May 11, queue started at 1803 DRCT (GMT+1) 

Broadcasted live on Twitch -- Watch live at https://www.twitch.tv/adne

I entered the queue at 1803 DRCT on a friday, so I was expecting a fast game, but noooo I had to wait 72 bloody minutes.

And even if you are able to find a game, it will either crash, desync or you will experience a lot of input latency since there are no dedicated servers. Multiplayer is not stable at all, I sincerely recommend you to not buy the product at the moment. Maybe wait 2-3 years until they fix everything, but in the current state it is really Sidaworthy

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

Resonance22

Do not buy this game. I've played Empires Apart for over 140 hours and been a loyal supporter of the game since it was just concept art. At every given opportunity I was there to help. I playtested the game throughout development, but ultimately I saw Empires Apart grow into something I cannot recommend to anyone. I am incredibly disappointed in how this game turned out and how unprofessional the developers have been to the community. This game is a buggy, incomplete, rushed, border-line unplayable mess of an RTS game that broke the many promises it made to its loyal Alpha and Beta testers. If you're looking for an Early Access game with almost no Single Player and absolutely no playerbase for Multiplayer, then that's unfortunately Empires Apart.

This game actually does have potentially good gameplay that is remiscent of the classic 90's RTS titles that I love (with over 2000 hours in Age of Empires II: HD Edition, not including the CD version). As a big fan of Aoe2, Age of Mythology, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, Warcraft 3, Starcraft II, and more, I did generally enjoy the gameplay of Empires Apart. The gameplay is actually very fun and well-designed, borrowing from the classic 90s RTS formula but adding some welcomed twists that help make the experience unique. However, the game itself is consistently riddled with hilarious exploits and major balance issues that kill the game the more you learn about it. That's assuming of course that you can actually play it when it isn't crashing 24/7. In my 140 hours of Empires Apart I have completed exactly 1 full Multiplayer game and that was during the Closed Beta. That is unforgivable. I was always playing with different people too so it's the game that is broken. The Publisher gave plenty of time with development, so it is unfortunately the Developers who openly pretend that they shipped a complete product and show absolutely no respect for all the Alpha and Beta testers that got them this far.

Without a Singleplayer Campaign and an incredibly lazily implemented cheating AI (that just gets infinite resources and infinite Stone), the game has poor if not almost non-existent Singleplayer. The Skirmish mode is bare-bones and barely customizable. I don't know how and why that's the case but this game is simply not worth buying without a Campaign as there is no Multiplayer playerbase to play online and the multiplayer itself is very very unstable.

Expect them to release some more broken DLC civilizations later and the playerbase to dip back down again shortly after to around 5 players if they continue this ridiculous "multiplayer-only" philosophy. That philosophy does not work in a classic-style RTS game that is supposed to be competitive yet offers no proper tools for players to learn, like a Campaign, replays, spectating outside of a lobby, better tutorials, and the most basic of features. And again the multiplayer itself is still awful with the rampant bugs, lag, balance issues, constant crashing, bare-bones lobbies, poor pathfinding, and overall incomplete gameplay. I mean look at how terrible the navy is!

I'm a huge fan of classic RTS games and I will happily edit my review in a heartbeat if the developers showed for just a moment that they actually cared about their customers who ask for a Campaign, but instead of implementing a Campaign they ignore all criticism and suggestions, and are always working against the clock to fix a broken product that should have never been shipped the way it was. If I could describe this game in one word it would be:

Disappointing

It had so much potential to be great but in the end it was squandered. It's a shame. I'll be keeping my eye out in case things change and the developers start caring about their players, and if that ever happens I'll gladly edit this review. But don't hold your breath. The gameplay is good but it's honestly wasted here unfortunately

https://steamcommunity.com/id/resonancesteam/recommended/530630/

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna relieve some of my stress by stating what the recent patch includes:

• Improved server connection by lessening the amount of playerbase (maximum of 2 per session)
  • Better management of financial resources (on the players' side) by the steady decline of Empires Apart's gains
  • Improved method of alienating the Youtubers who promoted the game
    Resonance22 found out that the devs care little about his work
    ZeroEmpires has yet to make his review (probably he can't make it positive enough)
  • Making the spinning unit a forever-feature because they love players whine about it
  • Haha 2

Last review.

Credit is given where credit is due. It looks like quite a bit of effort it put into the game, but when you put effort into something you have to make sure its even worth your while. You can have 300 unit pop caps with over 5 people when you give your servers no ram to run off of. Played this game with my friends and we build up, make massive armies, and the second we engage the server crashes. Another thing is why are the chinese so bad. If they have gunpowder give them genuinely good guns. Why are boats even in the game? they are completely useless in combat. Could be a good game but its like a michealangelo just did half of a statue and said ♥♥♥♥ this im done i cant be bothered

Was great lesson for RTS, isn't easy even for MS.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:07 PM, TheLyraki said:

yeah its very bad without shadows....but otherwise, in maxed out graphics (yeah, sounds weird in this case) it looks good! then again, maybe its time for me to stop watching animus to improve my art appreciation skills xD 

Is ironic 0 A.D runs better than EA with simple settings.

• 3 weeks later...

35osh8.jpg.c911ee29780b0ac25e019fb12f7853a6.jpg

In the world of Empires Apart, they do exist.

Anyway, they're making the effort to fix the bugs. All I want to see them do first is apologize for releasing it even with the problems that need to be addressed. I mean, just read the latest announcement for yourself.

Also, I wasn't surprised that even with the 34% decrease in price people are saying that it's still not worth it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No LAN.

Hi there,
the game uses Steam for matchmaking and lobby management so an internet connection is required to play multiplayer. Technically though, once the connection is established, one of the players will be the host and everybody will connect to him so lag will be virtually non existent in LAN. Granted, this is not a proper 1998-style LAN game but would be serviceable.
I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Gian Paolo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now is Freemium (microtransactions). 

Only Byzantines civ is free, you need to buy the other civs.

The problem with the game is it didn't do anything special, was cut too short in terms of gameplay options, ran poorly in some cases, and for the longest time the dev didn't want to listen to any of the player concerns regarding basic gameplay options or things to do in game.

Empires Apart is, for all ease of explanation, a watered down Age of Empires 2 clone that cut out a lot of the overall options and tech tree-ing to make way for an easy to pick up six button game. If you grew up playing Age of Empires (like plenty of us did, we're in the right sub for it) you'll quickly see where gameplay corners got cut to make way for a slightly faster RTS; the problem is though that at least the last time I played it a few months ago we were still seeing bugs from early in testing:

Units had the worst pathfinding known to man.

Attack moving sometimes wouldn't even work.

If you actually had too many units half the units on the map would just cease to function because the engine couldn't handle it (maybe 50-100 units?) meaning you were hosed in larger matches.

Maybe its come a ways since I last played but honestly play it because its free because its not really worth much money wise when you can just buy AoE 1/2/3 for stupidly cheap and get a much better and refined experience.

I'm going to be a negative individual for a second but I really do not grasp all these companies making RTS games today and completely hosing it when the successful formula has been right in front of them for all these years, or in the case of sequels (Dawn of War.... cringe) taking a successful method they had already and just completely screwing it up and then scratching their heads wondering wheres all the money!?