Empires Apart. ==Freemium==

Empires Apart is an upcoming RTS that “wants to be Age of Empires at heart”, say Slitherine, who have just announced that they’ll be publishing DESTINYbit’s game when it’s ready for release in the second half of 2017. I hadn’t heard of the title until today, so I’ve been digging through old development video blogs like a digital archaeologist. You can see the three videos produced to date below, as well as an announcement trailer.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

Though I prefer 0 A.D.'s realism approach, I don't really have a problem with their choice of art style since the developers have a target audience that appeals to that.

But if you don't like it, look on the bright side: it maybe just as "successful" as AOEO. :lmao:

• Like 2

I like these graphics, give more simple , I will love if is arcade system with advanced units development, like group order, waypoints, etc.

probably this the RTS that guy @Kicking_Bird dream ( in art style) I like all kind graphic, cartoon like Cell shading.

I love Cell shading like Zelda the Wind Waker or DBZ franchise.

They have problems with pathfinding, like us in the early alphas.

Just because you don't like the art direction doesn't mean its a mistake to take that direction. Its lovely, the minimal textures and polygonal style put more weight on the animations and color palette, which look very nice. With the rise of mobile where things need to be readable at a small size, this style is particularly popular.

AoEO had a charming style to it as well, but this is an RTS, not an MMO-RTS with microtransactions(?) which I think was the bigger issue with AoEO.

• Like 5

On 7/6/2016 at 6:51 PM, LordGood said:

Just because you don't like the art direction doesn't mean its a mistake to take that direction. Its lovely, the minimal textures and polygonal style put more weight on the animations and color palette, which look very nice. With the rise of mobile where things need to be readable at a small size, this style is particularly popular.

AoEO had a charming style to it as well, but this is an RTS, not an MMO-RTS with microtransactions(?) which I think was the bigger issue with AoEO.

Huge swathe of  AOE fanbase dismissed AOEO from the start base on the screenshots and gamep;ay videos.

Personally though, I don't see that with this game.  The units and buildings are clearly stylised given the low-polygon models and simple textures, but I frankly find this choice to merely be minimalism as Lordgood explained.  The gameplay seems promising and the units lack the wild exaggerations of AOEO; frankly I find you being too dismissive when it is clear that they are attempting to make a game that is old-schoolesque and the artwork reflects that.  

Also regarding this game's audience, it seems generalised to call it simply call the targets casual.  Age of Kings was a simple game but offered a rich meta-game that rivals highly competitive titles like Starcraft.

• Like 3

On 7.7.2016 at 0:51 AM, LordGood said:

I think the biggest issue with AoEO is that everything was simply too darn expensive. 20 dollars for one civilization IIRC.

• Like 1

I don't like commenting much about the art style since the developers said themselves that they were trying to not make the game look cartoonish... which by the looks of things I still don't understand.

But on the other hand, after seeing some comments on Empires Apart videos, I'm left to acknowledge that art styles DOES divide the fanbase. They basically fall on two camps: one being the traditional (because it's not broken), the other being modern (because we like it shiny). But there are those who don't mind either even if they have a preference.

I'm more concerned with how Empires Apart is being promoted. I'm seeing it as a threat to 0 A.D.'s exposure and support.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

frankly I find you being too dismissive when it is clear that they are attempting to make a game that is old-schoolesque and the artwork reflects that.  

I'm just commenting and giving an opinion that some other might share but don't comment. :) I just like 0 A.D.'s visual wayyyyy better (especially with the graphics turned on; the game look ugly when graphics turn off, but the graphics options in 0 A.D. make it gorgeous).

5 hours ago, sphyrth said:

I'm more concerned with how Empires Apart is being promoted. I'm seeing it as a threat to 0 A.D.'s exposure and support.

^this. 0 A.D. is the true successor to Age of Empire.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The plans atm are for 6 initial civs.
  • ♦ Franks
    ♦ Chinese
    ♦ Bizantine
    ♦ Aztec
    ♦ Mongol
    ♦ Arab

Those are the 6 Vanilla Civs, if the game is well received and another publisher or slitherine decide to fund an expansion the guys have said on stream that they might be open to the idea of expanding the amount of civs and game content that way.

---------

some kind Dejá vú in another dimension 

Edited by Lion.Kanzen