Buildings portrait process and little theory

I'm pretty sure the Ishtar gate was left out in previous alphas for QA reasons, it just doesn't look as refined as the rest of the set. There's a lot of empty space on that hall too, but the Persian details are there, so it still fits. Such a large and impressive gatehouse deserves an update to begin with, don't you think?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LordGood said:

I'm pretty sure the Ishtar gate was left out in previous alphas for QA reasons, it just doesn't look as refined as the rest of the set. There's a lot of empty space on that hall too, but the Persian details are there, so it still fits. Such a large and impressive gatehouse deserves an update to begin with, don't you think?

Also, some building in Persian set still no AO map (see the Apadana and the Walls).

1 hour ago, LordGood said:

I started to today. I plan to make it higher poly

But I have one big issue with it my plan was for it to be an upgrade to the current gate but it won't allow siege units to go through it so I guess this could be compensated by higher life points or an aura.

Other issue is size. It's as big as the gate without the side walls. So towers would end up inside the gate which might not look good.

Also png transparency is broken so you have to use the dds.

The fact that there is not object color parallax spec will lessen quality.

@wowgetoffyourcellphone I might look into providing the missing aomaps thanks for reporting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

The fact that there is not object color parallax spec will lessen quality.

Since is a special building and you remodel it anyway, can have its own texture (can copypasta textures from the original pers texture if you need to, colored appropriate to your need). I don't see why not.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

That texture under the battlements on the tower seem a bit stretched, and another band of that towards the bottom would give more balance to the visual details. But who am I to be complaining about stretched textures haha

looks good so far 

Might want to open a separate thread for this

• Like 1

So what do we do now for this release? Commit freeze won't be before sunday.

1. Remove the entire ishtar thing?
  2. Keep it as a lone building standing a out of place somewhere near the CC?
  3. Use the patch to embed it in a wall, even if it has some glitch?

The icon is looking okayish. An improvement to the door wouldn't be too bad and perhaps the merlon can be taken from  

Sentry tower icon:

• We should also have a new icon for the sentry tower I guess, as the wooden tower icon doesn't really fit anymore.

Ishtar icon:

1. I see you removed that golden artifact from the right column, but the blue color looks too bright / saturated.
  2. The new golden banner above the gate looks good.
  3. There is something green at the archway. Perhaps the color of the green pixels can just be changed to blue so it won't be noticed without repainting.

@niektb Do you think the top half (mostly the merlon) looks okay?

• Like 1