alpha 20 civ power rankings

causative

1. I'm thinking that once formations are added, the Successors will become more powerful.  But yeah..... The Seleucid and Ptolemiacs are definately slow to get started.  Seleucids more so.  The Ptolemies can get to age two, and just use a bunch of pikes, 10 archers and 10 slingers and have a decent output, but yes, they are RIDICULOUSLY slow.
  • Like 2

Causative,

So how ever you both players (you and nobody) are good with Sparta , you cant ignore that if you fail to rush with skirtais, you lose.  Why ?

-> they work far slower : before you send 40 skirtais to expedition, they worked like 25 regular units.

-> they dont move fast like champs : forget the annoying brit champ technic, they will be stoned by slingers on the back of their head

-> they capture rate is slighty more the half of a champ : you will hardly capture a garnisonned tower .. and hardly by surprise

If you combine those 3 facts, + all those units are not working during that rushing time ..  it means that you are in serious trouble if you cant cut the ennemy eco enough so they dont start to produce champs (helped by a bunch of slingers/skirmishers)  ..  Because, of course, if you fail to rush,

- you have to bring your eco back

- build those darn sparta extra buildings

- and deal with that -10% pop limit

So yes , SParta is a good civ but ONLY in the hands of a good player . Brit & Mauryans are the best civ for noobs and for pros

• 4 months later...

I only play single player and my favorite is the Athenian. I think it has more buildings and type of units than any other civs. I don't even need to chop any trees or kill the animals around my base as long as there's a treasure to collect and can still beat the hardest AI. Though I mostly play the game in very low resources. I hope someday a very expensive and slow tech could be optioned in the setting too. 

When it comes to how many units I can produce in a given time it really doesn't matter because I rather beat the hardest AI and all my barracks or CC units are fully promoted. 

When it comes to champions I rather have a fully experienced units promoted to champions by garrisoning it to appropriate buildings and upgrade/promote than buying it. I think to be called a champion it should gain experience and not just directly buying it. Even heroes, they just don't pop out from nowhere they have experience. 

• 2 months later...

@Lion.Kanzen Athenian is my favorite faction because they have more Champion units as well as special buildings. It's very suited against AI. I like the Greek factions but Macedonians have fewer buildings and Champions type. Spartans is almost the same as Macedonians but seems like fewer unit types. 

BTW these lancer cavalry seems to pause too long per hack as compared to sword cavalry. I'm not sure if this needs to smoothen up or really designed like that.