===[TASK]=== Eagle

JosCanPer

It looks like the Golden eagle would be best wrt habitat and fame.

Do watch out, when you use pictures to texture from, the pictures should be licensed as CC-BY-SA or compatible (CC-0 and CC-BY are both compatible). Wikipedia always mentions the license, and Google also has the option to search for pictures labelled for "reuse with modification".

And also keep track of what pictures you used, so they can be credited correctly.

• Like 2

Good start.

Though the wings should stay open when flapping down (try to take as much air as possible), and close only when flapping up again. But don't overdo the closing of the wings, big birds typically keep their wings quite open during flight.

I also see that you didn't triangulate it yet, our engine can only handle triangular faces. And for such a low-poly, organical model, it will probably change the shape somewhat, or allow you to produce a better shape with the same number of tris.

And how big is the texture you have now? It looks a lot more detailed than the hawk, but then again, the eagle is a bigger bird than the hawk, so it could benefit from a bigger texture.

And either the texture or the model is missing some paws, though that's perhaps not very important as the birds are mostly looked at from the top.

Good work on this. Sanderd sounds much more versed on this topic than I am. Don't scrap the higher res. Texture though. I can imagine a cool scene fly-through if we ever get to implement them or for promotional videos now that we have scripted camera movement.

6 hours ago, jonbaer said:

It would be great if birds were figured into the chat system somehow (ie for sending messages) and via new/upgraded tech you got a faster bird + a slower delay, owl -> pigeon -> raven -> eagle ... 

I think this would be less convenient for users, and they may resort to a different chat feature (some already use voice chat to communicate).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...