Implementing sanskrit for mauryans

Tomcelmare

Hi! Is there any chance to complete the work that had been previously done for implementing sanskrit language when playing mauryans?

Lately, I've found a channel about sanskrit language on youtube, and I took the liberty to contact the people who made it, asking them if they would be interested to give a hand (or a voice as it happens :P) to the developing team of 0ad. They did not contact me, I don't know if ITMS has been contacted...well, if someone among the officials would want to contact them it would probably be more efficient? Anyway, I merely wanted to revive this dusty topic :P

10 minutes ago, Tomcelmare said:

I contacted them via the comment section, the first comment is mine.

You know that comments are sorted by importance on YouTube, and your own comment is always the most important, so appears on top for you, but not for me ...

Anyway, scrolling down a bit does show your comment ;)

• Like 1

Hey, I'm still planning to work a bit more on Sanskrit and Greek voices but that will have to wait for after the summer, as I'm very busy with my studies.

If this guy is interested please let us know, I can show him around if he needs guidance :)

I'm sorry Lion.Kanzen, I don't understand the beginning of your sentence. Do you want me to record the sanskrit talking? Because I don't speak this language. But I could pronounce it maybe (my mother's from Sri Lanka, sanskrit sounds a little like sinhalese, though I don't speak it either :P)

2 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

@Tomcelmare we must  try to tempt him. the game can give to him  credit

We have to give credit, as we normally just require artists to release their work under a CC-BY-SA license. So giving credit is legally obligated.

If they do the voices, it should be because they're interested in doing the voices and spreading information on Sanskrit.

I understand your point now. You know, I've been wondering if sanskrit should be the language for the mauryans. Have you considered using Pali? It's the sacred language of Theravada Buddhism (used in Thailand, Cambodia, Sri Lanka...) as opposed to sanskrit which is a sacred language for hinduism. Apparently the Buddha himself spoke Pali, and the Pillars of Ashoka had inscriptions in Pali (Ashoka converted to buddhism). It might not have been the only language of the mauryan empire, but probably a significant one. Now the problem is resource materials at disposal. I've found this method of pali: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/ele_pali.pdf

It seems it's mainly focused on sacred and religious aspects.

I will continue to dig on the internet in search for exploitable material, if you think it's worth a try.

Here's a start for Pali speach :)

Master/Lord : Sāmin

Command : Āṇāpeti

Certainly : Āma

Ready : Uṭṭhāyaka

Very well : Bhavati

Attack : Akkamati

Build : Kappeti

Wood : Phālaka

Hunt:  Migavā

Fisherman:  Macchika

Repair:  Pākatikaŋ karoti

Cultivate:  Ākassati

Mine:  ākara

Work: Abhisankharoti

Heal: Tikicchati

March! Abbhuyyāti!

Butcher (killing cattle): Ghātaka

Fight:  Padahati

All the verbs are in the infinitive, as I don’t know how to conjugate them.

• Like 1

I'd say Sanskrit is more mainstream nowadays (so it's easier to find material for it).

Both Pali and Sanskrit are commonly acknowledged as lingua francas in the ancient world Indian peninsula, but as far as I know Sanskrit was more widely used during the game time frame (500BC - 500AD).

Also there is a huge lot of similarities between both languages so it would be simpler to just stick with Sanskrit, else we're going to face inconsistency issues.