===[COMMITTED]=== Achaemenid Siege

LordGood

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Also, Persians did have access to catapults. The inhabitants of the Persian city of Tyre famously used many types of catapults and bolt shooters against the attacking Macedonians. Their defense was so dogged, they angered Alexander so much that when he finally took the city he had all of its citizens enslaved or killed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

true, but their cavalry can cover so many bases better than swordsmen and slingers. Its just such a strong mid game and late game civ, i'd hesitate to add the additional capabilities.

Well, yeah, I also believe that a nerf to their infantry could come with it. Even with their max population bonus, I don't get the feeling of giant armies from the Persians, Mauryas, and Han, so that's another thing we could look at.

On 14/10/2023 at 8:45 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Well, yeah, I also believe that a nerf to their infantry could come with it. Even with their max population bonus, I don't get the feeling of giant armies from the Persians, Mauryas, and Han, so that's another thing we could look at.

what do you mean? huge ensembles of archers can be pretty effective and really bring the feeling of a giant army (also quite brittle, because when they don't snipe, archers pretty much suck).

18 minutes ago, alre said:

what do you mean? huge ensembles of archers can be pretty effective and really bring the feeling of a giant army (also quite brittle, because when they don't snipe, archers pretty much suck).

If you have 60 archers and the Persian enemy also has 60 archers, then no, they don't seem like a large intimidating force.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 14/10/2023 at 11:33 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Also, Persians did have access to catapults. The inhabitants of the Persian city of Tyre famously used many types of catapults and bolt shooters against the attacking Macedonians. Their defense was so dogged, they angered Alexander so much that when he finally took the city he had all of its citizens enslaved or killed.

What kind of catapults?

More primitive or the same as the Greek ones?