[Scenario] Obsidio Cyzicus

Hello everyone.
I wanted to try a scenario related to a battle.
I've chosen a city, Cyzicus, who has lived many (in 410, 73 B.C., in the 193, 672 and 1305 A.D.)
The last was a clash between the army of the Roman Republic, Commanded by Lucius Licinius Lucullus, and That of Mithridates VI of Pontus, fought in 74-73 BC near the city of Cyzicus, besieged for a year by the Pontic forces. Lucullus liberated the city and destroyed the enemy army. The battle was an episode of the Third Mithridatic War.
The town lies at the center of the Sea of Marmara, at that time called Propontis.
I used as starting a map of the battle hypothetically reconstructed:
Map

Orography

I turned the map in gray scale, cropped, added more levels of gray, blurred to decrease some slopes and imported into Atlas.
Immediately after the import I saved and I modified the XML giving "false" to CircularMap (if you gave after the mistake was taking on local calculation).
I fix it by hand the two high walls that are formed on both sides of the map.
I've changed the sea level gradually to give different textures depending on the depth, then returning it to the original.
I used passability> Building-land / Building-shore to affix the rock textures and end sand textures.

Constraints

The city is under the protection of Rome but has Greek origins and culture.
The city is fully developed but under siege, the cultivated fields are dangerously close to the besieged walls of Pontii.
Few resources, limited the expansion of the presence of many objects (trees, fences, walls) are present fish.
It can be used on the market and the port for commerce and increase resources.
He has already provided some high-ranking warriors for the defense.

Mithridates has been present for a year, has already opened a quarry of building material and metal.
It has already built a siege wall and some buildings so does not have many resources readily available.
It also has a port and if it has a market can start businesses there are fish.
It has already provided a minimal impact force for the siege.

Locullo arrived recently, has established the camp in the vicinity of some resources and began making the first constructions.
In the tents has a contingent of high-ranking warriors for intervention.
He has already disposed of the guard posts along the way but they go quickly manned.

Cyzicus_0_20.tar.bz2

Hope you like, it is at your disposal
  Questions and criticisms are well accepted

Cyzicus.png

Greetings and have fun, now I have to go out, we read in the evening (CET Italy)

• Like 3

Nice graphics IMO, though the trees are placed in quite a strange pattern. Normally, trees appear in bushes, or are manually placed along a road. They're not placed that evenly, and the amount of different trees that mix together well is normally quite limited either (a certain tree tends to grow better on a certain ground, and will outgrow the other species there).

Also, the map is quite unbalanced, but I guess that's not what you were trying to achieve.

8 hours ago, sanderd17 said:

Nice graphics IMO, though the trees are placed in quite a strange pattern. Normally, trees appear in bushes, or are manually placed along a road. They're not placed that evenly, and the amount of different trees that mix together well is normally quite limited either (a certain tree tends to grow better on a certain ground, and will outgrow the other species there).

Also, the map is quite unbalanced, but I guess that's not what you were trying to achieve.

Thanks Sander for notes.

I agree with you for the location of the trees, I had too much in a hurry to close the graphic part to test the fighting.
I had the desire to change the biomes, with this your note I put it as a necessary first step.

I mean for the balance in more detail.

The territory
The areas used by factions are arranged following these criteria.
The position of the besieged and the besiegers, must be facing each other.
The besieged can not have too much room for maneuver and expansion as their fate depends on whether or not the arrival of the aid, can only make prolong the siege but not that much.
The Pontii must at the same time maintaining the siege and expand on the heights above to have short connections to the siege walls.
The Romans can only expand into two plateaus and can only use the narrow valley to descend towards the city, the underlying part are affordable, and in part, only from below.

Resources
I have already alluded in the first post.
The besieged it difficult to get out, so I do not have many and can not have, except those provided food and wood, they are forced to use the trade.
The Pontii have had time to organize a quarry in the hills from where they extract stone and metal.
The Romans having just arrived, still have to organize themselves completely, but have little time, otherwise the ally falls.

Number of fighters already there.
The amount and location I chose doing some tests, in this case the problem is subjective as it depends on combat tactics that a player adopts.
So far I have only compared with the AI and I miss seeing other tactics used by human.

If you mean another for the balance I ask you, please, to make me understand better.

If I can I would like to ask a question, how come the Entities once placed are manageable with the Atlas while the Actors no, it's one of the things that made me lose time with the trees and I concluded quickly.

Thank you for now and greetings

8 hours ago, feneur said:

To delete/move actors, press the Alt key and then select etc as usual.

Thanks @feneur, I tried but I only allows the rotation, I can not move, and delete.:(

So I remove manually from the XML file, but is... too long .

hmmm ... maybe something in Ubuntu configurations for window management ... I'll check and reboot the system.
See you later

Bingo!
I do not know if it can affect everyone, but certainly those who use Kubuntu.
To interact with the windows the expected default button to be used with the mouse is ALT, but there is the possibility to change it with META.
This is done ... it all works.
:victory:

Thanks for the flea in the ear Feneur

Edited by Garaf
First doubt ... now sure :)