What I as a beginner of 0 A.D. am missing most

civilis

Yes, All my comments in this thread are based on the 'Rhododactylos' version of the game and my current game of its 'Necropolis' scenario. Which I like to finish, by the way. I suppose, most of my points are still valid for the newer versions. Am I wrong?

Have I overlooked the possibility to focus the map on the currently selected unit or building? (Bad habit of mine to strike the C key for that :D)

The "training" end of Gyne, sheep, cavalry or most buildings I never miss, but the generation of eg. slingers etc. I do ... In general, I'd prefer to receive additionally to the sounds also notifications (small icons on one edge, sorted chronological, with colors or symbols showing their type), which can be opened and give there a brief text and GoToEvent&Close / Close&DeleteNotification - Buttons. The notifications should inform about the completion of orders (reached location, killed target, depleted resource ... completed building, training, healing ...) with the ability to configure the triggering events and to delete All notifications.

• Like 2

It depends heavily on GameSpeed and should be customizable (ingame) in detail which events trigger notifications (including completely turning off for HighSpeedPlayers). Of course you won't be surprised, that I want for me a lot of notifications being active ... playing nearly a TurnBasedStrategy game on the 0.2second ticks.

As I understand it, often the ComputerPlayer units get a target (enemy unit) assigned on creation and then walk (religiously follow) to fight this target (also when they or even ANY other own unit cannot see that target, the land "sees").

While in general, I think, this global trajector is a good approach, the AI should be more opportunistic:

In the example below, about a dozen Hoplites & 4 JavelinChamps of Yellow were (and still are) attracted by my JavelinChamp in the middle of the line and the selected Hippeus (the 2 units, which were the first entering yellow territory). So they marched from the south through the 4 Prodromos and took bravely all their hits (instead of attacking them). Even now, as the 4 Hippei(?) walk southeast (in order to lower the density of units feeding the JavelinLine by pulling those Hoplites attracted by the selected Hippeus and also to take care of some marauding slingers, which should have accompanied the group anyway), the 2 Hoplites try to fight the selected Hippeus (instead of attacking those in melee range). Why do Hoplites not hit Cavalry, which they can hit IMMEDIATELY?

ai.jpg

Ahhh, I see, his comment is a confirmation ... the land "sees" indeed, ok.

Somehow I thought, he is contradicting me and already tried to figure out, what in the case Fog Of War ... it means to use an Alternating Turing Machine ...   :D

[[[Wiki:

An alternating Turing machine (ATM) is a non-deterministic Turing machine (NTM) with a rule for accepting computations that generalizes the rules used in the definition of the complexity classes NP and co-NP.

The definition of NP uses the existential mode of computation: if any choice leads to an accepting state, then the whole computation accepts. The definition of co-NP uses the universal mode of computation: only if all choices lead to an accepting state, then the whole computation accepts. An alternating Turing machine (or to be more precise, the definition of acceptance for such a machine) alternates between these modes.

An alternating Turing machine is a non-deterministic Turing machine whose states are divided into two sets: existential states and universal states. An existential state is accepting if some transition leads to an accepting state; a universal state is accepting if every transition leads to an accepting state. (Thus a universal state with no transitions accepts unconditionally; an existential state with no transitions rejects unconditionally). The machine as a whole accepts if the initial state is accepting.

]]]

@civilis, the units are supposed to speak their native language, but as we don't have all those voices yet, most speak Greek (only the Romans speak Latin). That "Prost Ballermann" like is probably "eisbàlomen" or "I will attack", and I don't know in what phrase you hear that female line.

In any case, here are the used lines: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Audio_Voice_List

On 6/8/2016 at 3:00 PM, civilis said:

Ahhh, I see, his comment is a confirmation ... the land "sees" indeed, ok.

Somehow I thought, he is contradicting me and already tried to figure out, what in the case Fog Of War ... it means to use an Alternating Turing Machine ...   :D

[[[Wiki:

An alternating Turing machine (ATM) is a non-deterministic Turing machine (NTM) with a rule for accepting computations that generalizes the rules used in the definition of the complexity classes NP and co-NP.

The definition of NP uses the existential mode of computation: if any choice leads to an accepting state, then the whole computation accepts. The definition of co-NP uses the universal mode of computation: only if all choices lead to an accepting state, then the whole computation accepts. An alternating Turing machine (or to be more precise, the definition of acceptance for such a machine) alternates between these modes.

An alternating Turing machine is a non-deterministic Turing machine whose states are divided into two sets: existential states and universal states. An existential state is accepting if some transition leads to an accepting state; a universal state is accepting if every transition leads to an accepting state. (Thus a universal state with no transitions accepts unconditionally; an existential state with no transitions rejects unconditionally). The machine as a whole accepts if the initial state is accepting.

]]]

Atm mean "at the moment"