Fix the "Greek" Voices

papajo

This problem existed in less extend in other games were "greek" language was used (like in age of mythology) and although I couldn't forgive those games since they came from million dollar productions I can forgive 0 A.D despite it failing even more to have original greek voices compared to other games..

But that doesn't mean that it should be something acceptable either for the simple fact that it's easy to do (just in the forum help from greek guys -that lived also in greece and have been educated at least partially in a greek school, because there are people of greek descent that were born and raised outside greece and think they know how to speak greek or ancient greek - I assume haring the later was the problem in games like age of mythology... - )

The bad english accent of the greek words + wrong accentuation of syllables I could bare...

But the selection of words themselves is either totally wrong or awkward to say the least... Some words are ancient greek some others are from the midleages etc and all of them are awkwardly put together

For example it's as if you expected to hear something like "Charge their left flank" and instead you hear something like "peruse left side diagonale" If you can't find a way gather some greek folks to help you out I could make some voices for you (although I am not a voice actor my recording would be much better than the current ones simply because I would know which syllable to accentuate and what to say to be era specific... but it would be better to use my recordings only as a reference for accent etc) I could also provide more information about expressions and why to use a certain syntax etc also give you some expressions of historical value.

Edited by papajo

We are always happy to improve things in the game, so if you have suggestions for how to improve individual lines, please offer them. As someone has at some point thought that the current lines were at least "good enough", please offer some kind of proof/source as to why your suggestions are better. You might be an expert at classical Greek for all we know, but the opposite could also be true, so we need some kind of proof before we can change things. :)

• Like 1

"Ti esti;" as it would be more or less spelled to convert the Greek letters to Latin, is the combination of "Tí," which means 'what,' and "esti," a conjugation of the Greek word eimi, which is the 3rd person singular form of 'I am.'  All of that to say, it basically means "What is it?"

• Like 1

I belive greeks say "Pros polemon" when you order an attack, what means "To war" or  more precisely "Toward war". Well, maybe it could be more precise with they actually do when you order attack if they say "pros makhen" (toward battle) but i like the answer of greeks to my orders. I'm a spanish speaker  that studied some classics and i recognized without problem the supposed english accent of the greek expressions. It's hard to speak with the polytonic accent of classic greek speakers, but the voices sound correct although perhaps they not be perfect. I have no greek dictionnary near, but i have translated classic greeks texts and prima facie akatakos markastei says me nothing. I would not recognize these expression directly if i hear it in game.

Edited by PrincepsRomanorum
  • Like 1

On 30.4.2016 at 4:18 PM, sanderd17 said:

Only the Romans speak Latin now. The rest all speak Greek (due to lack of people who are able to make voice recordings). Some of the civs also have very few references on how their language was spoken.

I think it would be a good idea to use Latin for Celtic factions, since it is more closely related to Celtic languages than Greek is.

10 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Best would be Gaelic I think

8 hours ago, GunChleoc said:

I can only do modern Scottish Gaelic. We did ask somebody to translate into Goidelic one though, it's somewhere on the general voices thread.

I suppose ideally it would be Gaulish for the Gauls and Brittonic (or Old Welsh) for the Britons, but Gaelic would be a great improvement over them speaking Greek. I don't see any issues with using modern Scottish Gaelic, since it's already much better than what's used at the moment for the Celtic civilizations (Greek).

I think using actual Gallic will be very difficult, because we only have a few fragments for it. I think using Gaelic as substitute for Brythonic and Brythonic as substitute for Gallic would work. I'll dig up the translations and have a go at recording them with a mix of Scottich and Irish accent.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2016 at 5:03 PM, papajo said:

For example it's as if you expected to hear something like "Charge their left flank" and instead you hear something like "peruse left side diagonale" If you can't find a way gather some greek folks to help you out I could make some voices for you (although I am not a voice actor my recording would be much better than the current ones simply because I would know which syllable to accentuate and what to say to be era specific... but it would be better to use my recordings only as a reference for accent etc) I could also provide more information about expressions and why to use a certain syntax etc also give you some expressions of historical value.

The problem has never been lack of desire to improve 0 A.D. unit voices, the topic has been raised many times :-) The problem is finding someone to take charge of that project, and with regards to making the recordings, most people don't have experience or access to quality equipment for that. There may be ancient Greek scholars, native Greeks, and voice actors perusing this forum, but I don't know if anyone meets all 3 roles, maybe that is why there's no progress made. Obviously, if the phrases are wrong, we should fix those before even thinking about how they sound, much less recording them.

• Like 1

I can have acces even have a couple candidates ( good voices) for Latin voices to add, I have a friend with a 

console based in Pro Tools program , my friend have a studio in their house where have a isolated room to record, he is musician. And have experience have audio edition.

if you record voice and show me how pronounce that , I can have people have talent to imitate even Germanic pitch, tone etc.

so can't be difficult with the other Europeans.