Free Unit Queueing

causative

It sure would be nice if multiple units could be queued up at a production facility without having to pay the unit cost until the unit actually starts being produced.  Other RTS games such as Starcraft allow this.  It would eliminate a lot of unnecessary clicks, especially when it comes to sheep.  This would free players to pay more attention to controlling units in battle, which is more interesting anyway.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2016 at 10:30 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Is easier to plan expenditure if the cost come out of treasury right away. 

That's true, but especially in the beginning the treasury is empty quite often ... :P

I like this idea too. So I propose, to let the normal queuing as it is (left-click) AND to add another queuing mode (invoked eg. with ctrl-left-click & using icons with different colored border or background) with unpaid units. Of course this queues stop when the resources are missing. New queuing mode icons could be appended behind the normal queues with already paid icons.

This new queuing mode would also allow to repeat the selected unit production until stopped (maybe invoked with alt-left-click).

Edited by civilis
shift-left-click on icon is already used, so changed to ctrl&alt
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

The one in RoN is nice but could also be catastrophic if you don't pay attention too much. It's called infinite queue. You buy unit either single or in batches of 5 then it will produce that amount until no more resources are available. Simply buy then press letter Q then it will commence. 

Its catastropic (if you don't pay attention) sometimes for a game like RoN because there is a limit of number of farms or woodcutter/mine slots. I sometimes build more citizens or merchants than needed coz I forgot to turn it off. It's ok in 0AD because there's no limit as long as you have cap spaces. 

On 23.04.2016 at 11:28 PM, causative said:

It sure would be nice if multiple units could be queued up at a production facility without having to pay the unit cost until the unit actually starts being produced.  Other RTS games such as Starcraft allow this.  It would eliminate a lot of unnecessary clicks, especially when it comes to sheep.  This would free players to pay more attention to controlling units in battle, which is more interesting anyway.

There is a side effect of your way: you have 200 wood, you want to build a house, select it and try to place, suddenly you can't build it, because you have only 50 wood, and you think: "Who stole my wood?". But it's not a stealing, just some building spent this wood on a queued unit. Another example, when you've been attacked in one place, you need create many units there, but all resources are spending in other CC, so you need to click over all buildings and cancel queues.

Also there is a problem with priorities, because every situation has an own priorities, which unit should be created first. And in case when buildings spend resources when needed, it may happen that units with low priorities will be created before units with high priorities. So this way will be a complex task.

So I'd prefer the current way or combined (suggested by @civilis), because it allows to control the resource flow with big precision.

Edited by vladislavbelov
  • Like 3