The very bad reception of AOE 3

My problem is with the limited population cap, not something that can really be fixed by patches. I am just so used to having 5 to 20 workers gathering depending on the resource in AoE2/Galactic Battlegrounds that the economic and overall population balance has proved difficult, especially for food in the late game. That scenario also has the added problem of giving the enemy navy a range advantage.

Reasons why AoE2 is a better game than AoE3:

1. Map Size
    The maps in Aoe3 are smaller as compared to Aoe2. I guess this was done to make the games end faster. One may argue that "large" maps are pretty big, but they're nothing compared to Aoe2 maps. This totally destroys the concept of "flank" and "pocket" positions which was so important in Aoe2. What this also means is that difference between the speed of Cavalry and Infantry is less important as they have to cover very short distances.

2. Game-play Modes
    Aoe3 allows for only two teams, or FFA. It doesn't support formats like 2v2v2 etc. While these formats aren't that popular, but still..

3. Terrain
    In my opinion this is the most significant difference. Aoe3 doesn't have hills or terrains. There is nothing like mining on a slope, funneling enemy armies into an oasis, building towers/shooting from top of a hill etc. Also the forests are pretty scarce and it's hard to wall. This limits strategies.

4. Network Usage/ Lag
    The game lags! badly! It's very hard to play 3v3 online and 4v4 is almost impossible online. Even on lan, it sometimes lags a lot especially the water maps. Also Aoe3 eats up more MBs of data than Aoe2.

5. Economy
    Economy management in Aoe3 is a piece of cake. You no longer have to worry about walking distances or running out of mines. All your economic upgrades are available at one place. In Imperial age, you have technologies that give you +50% gathering bonus. There are no relics which you must capture. There's nothing like timing your trade carts right so that they don't affect your military in late castle/early imperial.

6. Value of each and every unit
    Units are produced in batches which makes their individual worth very low. You may be leading by 1 hussar, but then suddenly enemy trains 5 from his stable. 

7. Army Micromanagement
    The need for micromanaging your soldiers has gone down tremendously. You no longer need to dodge mangonel shots with your crossbows, you no longer funnel enemy armies into an oasis, run over a hill etc.

8. Castles and Towers have lost their meaning
    Forts and outposts are way too weak. Other day, I had two gendarmes take down my fort without any of them dieing. In Aoe2, castles made a huge difference, even in early imperial age. Towers could be used as a great defensive/offensive tool in feudal/early castle. Not anymore..

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

aoe 3 was less addicting because it was plain gameplay.. build a windmill and you have infinite food, villagers don't have to walk to take resources to your base... it was just the same ritual every game over and over again, the maps where good but did not change the strategy. it was a fun game to play, when i was round 8 years old i first got the game and i still play at right now 8 years later. i had many home city's to level 50+ and ect... now it is starting to feel lame.... just get infinite supply's and build as much units as you can.. thats all... i never played the story mode complety tho.... the disk was damaged from the start on and it keeps crashing the game after a fiew missions. now i got the game working on my new pc, but the story mode doesn't feel as nice as it was 8 years back. its a shame that the game developers try to eliminate this problems into aoe 4. they made a free to play mmo :(

• Like 1