Anglo-Saxon, Old Frankish and Norse names

Andrettin

I have lists with Anglo-Saxon and Old Norse names, which I've recently compiled. I believe this could be useful for the mod, i.e. as AI names. I think it would be nice to include as many names of historical rulers as possible to the AI names, to add diversity and make it less likely that the player will encounter the same name multiple times. Shall I make a pull-request adding those?

6 hours ago, niektb said:

What kind of names do you refer to? AI names?

You can make a pull request IMO.

Yes; to my knowledge AI names are the only part of 0 AD in which personal names are used (other than heroes, who are a lot more than just names).

Alright, I'll get my hands on it :)

EDIT: Done.

Edited by Andrettin

• 4 months later...

The most common roots of Frankish names are these (i had some problems with formatting -_-)

Spoiler
Animals   Weapons and War related things Qualities and others
Arn, Eagle                                     Bert, Axe Adal, Noble
Bern, Bear        Child, Shield Bald, Daring
Han, @#$%        Dag, Dagger Bert, Brilliant
Wulf, Wolf        Frank or Franc, Franc Axe

Dag, Day

Hramm, Raven

Ger ou Gar, Spear

Hilde, Battle

Eram ou Ram, Honor

Gard, Protection

Eber, Boar        Har, Army General Hard, Strong
         Helm, Helmet Hilp, Help
         Ingel, Sword Hold, Glorious
    Hrod or Ragin, Counselor
    Mer, Great
    Mund, Guardian or Tutor
    Ric, Rich or Powerful
    Rid or Ritter, Knight or Rider
    Sig, Winner or Victor
    Wald, Governor
    Wic or Wig, Battle, Fight or Combat
    Will, Will
    Win, Winner or Getter

A few examples :

Bern (Bear) + Hard (Strong) = Bernhard (Strong Bear) which evolved in Bernard

Adal (Noble) + Bert (Axe) = Adalbert (Noble Axe) which was a current name in the (mostly early) Middle Ages and evolved to Albert

Ger (Spear) + Hard (Strong) =  Gerhard (Strong Spear) which evolved in Gerard or Gerrard (like the football player :))

Will (Will) + Bert (Axe) = Willibert  (Voluntary Axe) which was popular too

Sigis (Variant of Sig only used in some names) + Mund (Guardian) = Sigismund (Victorious Guardian)which is still common mostly written in other ways

Hilde (Battle) + Gard (Protection) = Hildegard(e) which was a popular female name

The name were given like this :

The parents first used to give their first root of their name before giving the names for their meanings :

So if your father was called Willibert and your mother Berthilde, you would have been called Willibert.

If you want a list of Frank names go here, it's in French but you can still read the names :

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_de_prénoms_d'origine_germanique

And if you want historical great people's name go check the family trees of the Merovingians and the Karlings

Your humble servant, Tiber7^_^

Edited by Tiber7
  • Like 1

Here is a list of the Frankish sovereigns, duxes, war leaders and Mayors of the Palace from the III's century to 987 : 

Spoiler

Ascaric(h), Merogais, Mallobaudes, Genobaud, Sunno, Marcomer (Marcomeres, Marchomer, Marchomir), Faramund (Pharamond), Chlodio (Clodio, Clodius, Clodion, Cloio or Chlogio), Theodemer (Theudomer), Sigobert the Lame (Sigebert, Sigibert), Chlodoric (or Chloderic) the Parricide, Merovech (Founder of the Merovingian dynasty), Childeric I, Clovis I, Chararic, Ragnachar, Ricchar, Rignomer, Chlothar I, Childebert I, Chlodomer (Clodomir or Clodomer), Theuderic I, Theudebert I, Theudebald, Chilperic I, Charibert I, Guntram, Sigebert I, Childebert II, Chlothar II, Theuderic II, Theudebert II, Sigebert II, Dagobert I, Charibert II, Chilperic of Aquitaine, Clovis II, Sigebert III, Chlothar III, Childebert III the Adopted, Theuderic III, Childeric II, Clovis III, Dagobert II, Theuderic III, Clovis IV, Childebert III the Just, Dagobert III, Chilperic II, Chlothar IV, Theuderic IV, Childeric III, Pepin I of Landen (also called the Elder or the Old), Grimoald I the Elder, Pepin II of Herstal, Drogo, Grimoald II the Younger, Theudoald, Charles Martel, Carloman, Pepin the Younger (also called the Short), Carloman (Karlmann) I, Charlemagne (Charles I), Louis I the Pious, Lothair (Lothar) I, Louis (Ludwig) II the German, Pepin I of Aquitaine, Charles II the Bald, Pepin II the Younger, Charles III the Child (Charles III of Aquitaine), Louis II the Stammerer, Louis III of France, Carloman II, Charles III the Fat, Odo (or Eudes), Ranulf II, Charles III the Simple (or the Straightforward), Robert I of France, Rudolph (Radulf, Ralph, or Raoul) of France, Louis IV d'Outremer (or Transmarinus), Lothair III of France, Louis V the Lazy, Lothair (Lothar) I, Louis II the Younger (of Italy), Lothair II of Lotharingia, Charles of Provence, Louis III the Younger (of Lotharingia), Arnulf of Carinthia, Zwentibold (Zventibold, Swentiboldo, Sventibaldo, Sanderbald) of Lotharingia, Carloman (Karlmann) of Bavaria, Louis III the Younger (of Saxony/or Bavaria).

It's long... ahhhh you have lots of choices.

EDIT : By the way the Theu***** can be replaced by Theo****** if you prefer. It would be more correct Theo*****, Theu***** being for me an unknown reason anglicization because I always heard them with Theo.  I was a bit Lazy in classifying them but you only want the right?

Edited by Tiber7

• 9 months later...
  • 4 years later...