How to use healers

causative

Healers apparently don't do anything unless you have them stand directly in range of injured units.  If the healer is standing just out of range of an injured unit, it will not walk closer to heal it.  If you ctrl+right click with the healer, it will simply walk past injured units, ignoring them.

Suggestion:

1. ctrl+right click for healers should make them stop and heal any injured allied units along the way to the destination.  That way you can just select your entire army including the healers, and ctrl-click to attack towards a destination, and the healers will actually help in the fight.
  2. If a healer is idle nearby injured allied units, but out of healing range of them, it should walk forward and heal them, unless you have set the healer on hold position.
  • Like 1

I hardly ever even use healers, even after the cost reduction, and I am the kind of person who loves healing units in order to improve survive-ability. It is how I operate in everything from Age of Empires and Age of Mythology, to Homeworld and Command & Conquer. It was one of the reasons why StarCraft frustrated me until the addition of Medics for the Terrans to heal biological units in Brood War. Moving to heal would definitely help, especially when formations are finally able to give units the survive-ability to make healers more useful during battle, since right now they are only really effective for recovering after a battle, when Temples are just as effective, even without garrisoning them.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I use an average of 10 healers every time I play. I like the posters suggestions and will improve its use. There's one thing that seems like a bug is that when you upgrade the healing range and if the healer is very close to the specific wounded target they are moving back away up to the extended healing range upgrade distance before they execute the healing. 

5 hours ago, causative said:

I can't replicate this bug.  Are you sure the healer is not simply running away from enemy fire before healing?  You could put him on a stance other than Passive.

Nope that's why I'm hesitant to upgrade it to increase healing range, it's almost the same as other range unit like archers and cav skirmisher. I guess that minimum distance in the case of military units are making it possible. I will try to observe more with and without stances on either aggressive or defensive behavior later. 

It happens mostly when you order it to heal a single unit. 

Edited by Servo