New Release: 0 A.D. Alpha 20 Timosthenes

feneur

13 minutes ago, Marcin1 said:

Brawo. Hello in forum. I from Poland I am translating 0 A. D. to Polish and game. New release is amazing.

When will be available campaign?

After Alpha, late beta may be or beyond I never was sure.

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameplayFeatureStatus

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

On 2 april 2016 at 8:31 PM, fabio said:

Graphics quality is currently not autodetected and it is always set to low by default. Some work is needed before adding autodetection, i.e. adding on the fly change, see ticket #3737.

If you are curious you can see how autodetection works here. :)

EDIT: Only the "graphics quality" option is not set to high based on detected hardware. Most of everything else it is, including GLSL, postprocessing, smooth los, water effects and shadows.

I.e. if you have a high end gpu everything except "graphics quality" in a20 is set to max quality.

Yea, i have a high end gpu (msi gtx 980ti g6 gaming) everything was set to high as far as i know, the only thing being not  on high was the graphics quality. but turning it up did not really do much. 

i'm having trouble downloading the new alpha--every time i try downloading it, it's an unsuable .torrent file for some reason instead of a .exe (i checked--when i select it, my computer asks for the proper application to open .torrent files). i'm using Windows, so i don't know if it's unique to the Windows version.

@oshron, just to be sure. You realise that the big download button says "torrent download", and that there's a smaller link below that says "direct download"? Did you click the torrent download or the direct download?

That said, we prefer you use the torrent download since the game binaries are now hosted on our own servers (after some other open-source projects reported their binaries got hijacked by sourceforge, and filled with adds). The direct download is only there for people who can't get torrents to work. Luckily, the downloads page also links to the BitTorrent FAQ which explains in detail how to install a torrent client, and why it is important to us to download it via that way ...

• Like 4

silly me, i didn't even see the direct download link! :P i'd been clicking on the torrent button near the top of the page

i don't know how to torrent/don't have the tools for it (anymore) so i'll just go for direct download. i always play it single-player, anyway, so does hosting from Wildfire Games' servers affect that in any way?

8 minutes ago, oshron said:

i don't know how to torrent/don't have the tools for it (anymore) so i'll just go for direct download. i always play it single-player, anyway, so does hosting from Wildfire Games' servers affect that in any way?

The FAQ links to tools you can use, but don't worry, the server won't go down for one download more or less :) And no, single-player isn't affected in any way (nor is multiplayer, but that's another matter :P Or well, the lobby is also on that server, but we had that on our own server before we started to host the download there so nothing has changed in that regard.).

Most online tools we have are hosted on a single server (the downloads, the lobby, the forums, ...). And the game is quite large (larger than most other applications). So if everyone would download the game directly from the server, we would most likely hit our maximum bandwidth (certainly right after a release), which would cause issues with about all our tools.

But currently, about half of the people seem to use torrents to download the game. Torrents don't take a lot of bandwidth from our server (it just sends some statistics and checksums back and forth). Instead, torrents enable the sharing of the game directly between people who already downloaded the game and people who want to download the game.

It's correct that one download directly from the server doesn't matter, and won't cause any problems for the server. But I hope you understand why we prefer torrent downloads, and thus why that button is so much bigger than the link.

• Like 1