Scenario - the Battle of Salamis

The Battle of Salamis was a naval battle opposing Greek allied forces (mainly Athens and Sparta) to Persian float in 480 BC. The battle did set in the Saronic Gulf, very close to Athens and especially Piraeus (the actual marine dock of Athens). The battle is famous in that despite largely outnumbered (the float was 5 time less), the greek allies did win the fight.

Here is the area of the Battle:

Spoiler

56fccd191e6b7_cropbattlemap.thumb.png.5f

And here is my map:

Spoiler

screenshot0140.png.4eee327fc94d66830f588

The battle did begin in the start of the dawn. It has been described by classical authors to happen with this configuration:

Spoiler

56fccd1c0c246_salamis2.png.e0cfa01491661

So I decided to reproduce the battle as close from this. Beside Persians battleships, some Egyptian (Ptolemaeus) warships did support the fight against the greek faction, by holding position in the north area of the battle to intercept any greek ships eventually trying to escape the battle zone. I just had to reduce the number of total ships for technical reasons, but the ratio is the same.

Some screenshots of my scenario:

Spoiler

screenshot0152.thumb.png.e1c255f5e4dd508screenshot0142.thumb.png.85bf98521767884screenshot0143.thumb.png.d2013fd5d622b77screenshot0141.thumb.png.5984136738a19d7screenshot0144.thumb.png.b438803d26cfc7fscreenshot0145.thumb.png.21b984d5d3b6d08screenshot0146.thumb.png.20f10824ab24aa7screenshot0150.thumb.png.ad8f0fd4b126c45screenshot0151.thumb.png.3cc60cfd6a8c384

Because of the unbalanced ratio between the greek allies and the persians allies, I did use a garrison system in order to have some greek battleships more powerful compared to persian battleships (that was a nightmare, but thanks @fcxSanya for the procedure ^_^). I still need to set up some nice scripts to make an interesting naval fight. Is there any published scripted battle in some scenario yet, to get inspiration ? Or maybe will there be some new maps like this in the next A20 ?

Also, I have some display issues with such actual environment settings (I needed to set up a dawn atmosphere): because I need a very low sun inclination, I have some artifacts (a large shadow that comes from the out limits of the map area), in the east and in the north. Is there any way to fix it ?

Will there be any new features in A20 that would allow some interesting naval fights too ?

Thanks for the information and feedback.

Edited by AtlasMapper
mistyping
  • Like 2