Release Candidates for Alpha 20

Itms

Hello everyone,

This is a short announcement, to tell you that the release candidate packages for Windows, Unix, and OSX, along with the mods for ja, zh and zh_TW languages, are ready, and were uploaded to https://releases.wildfiregames.com/rc/. You can download them and check everything works as expected!

Please note: this is a release candidate and might not be the final version. It would be safer for you to uninstall it and reinstall the release version when A20 is out.

Thanks in advance for testing and for reporting any issues :)

Edited by Itms
Update for the current status
  • Like 3

Just got time to test it. It compiles correctly and seems to work (though I didn't go through all menus, and didn't play a game yet). But there's again a problem with the translation of the manual. The pt_PT translation spits the well-known error

ERROR: Invalid tag 'cima' at 8445 in '[font="sans-bold-18"]Manual ...

I don't know if this is worth fixing and re-packaging(best only locally, to not pull new translation mistakes). But I would urge anyone out there to test the RC, go through all menus, test if settings work, play a game, ... Only that way a good release can be made.

I don't think it's enough to repackage (if I'm not mistaken French had the problem in the manual during one entire Alpha (A17?)). The problem with obsolete config (see IRC logs) sounds more worrying, is it fixed by using the Reset button of the Options screen?

Every time you guys release a new alpha of 0ad, it comes with a wonderful video with most of the "changelog". Better than a visual changelog, its all these "video changelogs"! :) So, my question is: who is responsible for these videos? And, obviously, congrats for the ones responsible for them.

Edited by Sturm
Typos

43 minutes ago, Sturm said:

Every time you guys release a new alpha of 0ad, it comes with a wonderful video with most of the "changelog". Better than a visual changelog, its all these "video changelogs"! :) So, my question is: who is responsible for these videos? And, obviously, congrats for the ones responsible for them.

For this release we've actually not prepared a release video :P There haven't been many changes that felt necessary to use a video to highlight. The release announcement will be full of images though :) (+ there might be a video highlighting the work done to make it possible to program the camera to move in a specific way (for cutscenes and the like), but since it's mostly ground work thus far it's still a bit difficult to do so might not make it)

Usually it's @BrynnOfCastlegate who does most if not all the work on the videos (in some cases there has been some specific footage recorded by someone else, and then combined and edited by Brynn).

We'll talk about getting a more general promo video or something similar done between now and the next release, so the Youtube channel isn't empty. And hopefully we will begin preparations for the video for Alpha 21 in good time (we have been a bit late in asking for it to be made, so it's really remarkable how well Brynn has managed to get them in the short time she's had for it).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, feneur said:

(...) (+ there might be a video highlighting the work done to make it possible to program the camera to move in a specific way (for cutscenes and the like), but since it's mostly ground work thus far it's still a bit difficult to do so might not make it).

Are you talking about the "Cinematic videos" such as Vladislav Belov videos uploaded on YouTube? If thats true, that is an awesome news!

And finally, my personal congrats to @BrynnOfCastlegate! Your videos are very professional and sure they are a very positive effort to support 0ad project the amazing project it is.

1 hour ago, Sturm said:

Totally agree, the changelog-videos are awesome. Congratulations to @BrynnOfCastlegate!

Unfortunately I wont be able to test much this version, but an extra SSD is coming :)

On 29.03.2016 at 9:46 PM, feneur said:

Indeed :) For this version it is not easy to use, but hopefully it will be a lot easier in the future :)

On 29.03.2016 at 9:44 PM, Sturm said:

Are you talking about the "Cinematic videos" such as Vladislav Belov videos uploaded on YouTube? If thats true, that is an awesome news!

As I said to elexis, I have the unstable Atlas patch, which adds functions to control this camera paths, so I hope that it will be added to the next release, and we will make a movie :)

1 minute ago, vladislavbelov said:

As I said to elexis, I have the unstable Atlas patch, which adds functions to control this camera paths, so I hope that it will be added to the next release, and we will make a movie :)

Looking forward to seeing what people will do with it once it's easy to use :) It's already really nice to see what can be done with it (as everyone can see in the release announcement video just posted ;) ).

26 minutes ago, feneur said:

Looking forward to seeing what people will do with it once it's easy to use :) It's already really nice to see what can be done with it (as everyone can see in the release announcement video just posted ;) ).

Did you fix this bug:

When use formation sometime,I order unit to attack and it just move like crazy dog,not attack until I remove the formation

6 hours ago, Super said:

Did you fix this bug:

When use formation sometime,I order unit to attack and it just move like crazy dog,not attack until I remove the formation

Formations don't work properly for now, and need a lot of work if we are ever to be able to include them. So using formations are a bit "use it on your own risk" at the moment.

I started to try out RC, I have a few observations:

Atlas seems to be the same, so not much to say about it. I can open my old maps as usual. However:

• can't display the actor /flora/trees/grass_1 (doesn't seems to exist)
  • particle/seeds looks like some moving squares, I don't know if it is what expected
  • some error messages while displaying "auras" in actors, it seems to be related to the animation files
  • Displaying 80 % of the actors in Atlas did fully filled my swap then Atlas totally freeze

I also quickly tried a few scenarios/skirmishes, and the display seems less smooth than before: when I move the screen in-game, and more especially when I quickly zoom in/out, there a few display artifacts. Like some parts of the screen than need more time to calculate and freeze a bit (for less than an half second), while the rest of the screen is zoomed normally. So you can barely see some kind of squared areas artifacts. I can't show you screenshot or post replays, as it only happens when moving the camera. Dunno if related to my own config, I think I had to tell you.

Beside of this, the new gameplay features seems to be really nice! Previous posts related the fact that not much things would change in A20, so it is a great surprise. I also love the fact that you provide some new maps, and not only the one in the A20 announcement. Thanks for the work.

• Itms locked this topic