Your dream map ?

AtlasMapper

I like the suggestions here for a pre-build map with lots of buildings but few resources (or only resources far away from the base). That would mean you'll first have to capture some buildings (f.e. two markets or a dropsite near the available resources) in order to start resource generation.

Note that maps also have the possibility to disable certain templates. In this case, you could disable the farm field template, to force players to get out of their base quickly.

The AI probably wouldn't know what to do though, but it could make a fun multiplayer.

• Like 2

@roofridder:

Just now, roofridder said:

i used a heightmap so the map would be the same for all the players.

You mean symmetrical ? I don't think a map should be pixel-perfect symmetrical to be a fair multiplayer game. Such landscapes look a bit too artificial, or even "synthetic" to me. But players seems to wish such maps. Lion.Kanzen also suggested this kind of map:

On 25/03/2016 at 8:35 PM, Lion.Kanzen said:

and this other , I like for multiplayer, isn't realistic but is very balanced.

kZk9t4r.png

But as I said, this kind of map are already playable. Have you seen these maps randomly generated by kali ? Especially Stronghold, and Safe House ?

Anyway, if you really want your map, and even if nobody create it for you, I think you should try and retry to do it by yourself. It shouldn't be too complicated.

@AtlasMapper:

2 minutes ago, AtlasMapper said:

You mean symmetrical ?

Thank you that was the word i was looking for i couldn't rememer it. It wasn't my goal to make a realistic map i wanted to make a very balanced map with no advantages for anyone. I saw those random maps made by Kali those maps are awesome but i didnt see a close combat map anywhere in the forum. I could that map myself but i dont think i would do a good job on it. And maybe someone who is good at mapmaking likes my idea and makes it, who knows. 

@sanderd17: Nice, it could be totally complementary to the @SeleucidKing "Gaia urban" map, in a total capture fest. No resources inside the city, just a few markets, and if the city is big enough and market far enough, it should be possible to generate resources to build new units (would be slow however, so starting units/resources should be available). I like the idea of this mandatory use of merchants, and it is not really used in the available maps. That is actually why I set it up this merchant need in my Aeolian map where resources are limited depending on the island. In the actual playable maps, I rarely have the time or room to build markets far enough to gather resources this way. It is easier to built dropsites in the numerous available resources spots..

But as you suggest, it might be really fun in a pre-built city!

10 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Maybe we should also post map making techniques, terrain painting style and map design ideas here, or we can create a separate thread for it. :)

Nice idea, but maybe it's better to wait with that for the new Atlas UI trompetin17 is developing. Then you'll certainly have better-fitting screenshots

13 minutes ago, niektb said:

@roofridder Should be quite easy to make by hand, there's no need to mess around with heightmaps on such a small map

Thank you for bringing the truth, I now really feel like everything I said is nothing more that some useless and meaningless dusk.

1 hour ago, AtlasMapper said:

it should be easy to draw without any height map import, directly in Atlas.

7 minutes ago, AtlasMapper said:

Thank you for bringing the truth, I now really feel like everything I said is nothing more that some useless and meaningless dusk.

How comes? Did I do anything different than confirming your words?

4 minutes ago, AtlasMapper said:

Oh my, really ? Can you reveal/leak any future planned features ?

This topic has some showcase videos:

Edited by niektb

53 minutes ago, AtlasMapper said:

@sanderd17: It looks nice. So the version presented in this link is available since a year for core devs ? Moreover, do you think trompetin17 would be open and interested by comments from an Atlas user like me ?

Of course I will open to hear comments, just remember is a hard path and Im trying to work on it :)

Yes the trees will definitely cause performance issues as the pathfinder has to deal with each entity(tree) separately there by increasing memory usage and computation time and will do so for every rendered frame,one of the reasons the map Belgian Forest has so much lag ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)    

• Like 1

@Loki1950: Yes that was what I did have in mind. So is it possible to make use of "actors" instead of "entities" in order to lower the memory usage ? Should we then recommend @jarnomodderkolk the use of actors to improve performance on big maps ? Or in the end, does the display of a huge amount of actors alters performances too ?