20 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

You need a new match setting screen... Like AOM style, like mythos_ruler propose some time ago.

There was a patch by @s0600204 that used to work for this, but it is now deprecate and throw lots of bad errors. I wish it would be added to the game. Very frustrating when lots of good patches and work don't get added and then the code is broken over time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

There was a patch by @s0600204 that used to work for this, but it is now deprecate and throw lots of bad errors. I wish it would be added to the game. Very frustrating when lots of good patches and work don't get added and then the code is broken over time.

I have these feeling... Good patches must be review first specially gameplay or mayor features.

Started a new map, I call Blue Nile.

Blue_Nile_Nomad.png

It is another nomad-style map, 4 player. It represent the Blue Nile valley in today Sudan and Ethiopia. Players start the match as colonists in dire straights. No resources, only some supplies nearby. Must travel out of the mud flats and find a suitable place to settle nearer fresh water (the Blue Nile River) and more plentiful resources (wood, animals, farmlands, foraging).

I have 4 maps I have start that I will not be able to finish before the next alpha (and the first release of DE). Adriatic Coves (4), Blue Nile (4), Corinthian Isthmus (8), and Scythian Steppes (6). It's a lot easier to make 2 player map, lol. Corinthian Isthmus (8) will be the biggest challenge. I hope to complete all by Alpha 23, but maybe not. Goal is to have a lot more skirm map selection for 4,5,6+ players. I also want to overhaul Bactria (2), since it look kind of unfinished.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Starting a new "Bactria" style map called "River Oxus", the major river that run through the Bactrian valley. Bottom half of map is green and trees. The top half across the river is mountainous and have many passes and treasures.

screenshot0812.png

Based on images like this:

37-jpg.jpg

I think the game should have new water type called "Rapids." @wraitii

• Like 7

I also honest to goodness think that the game should have mesh mountains. 3D meshes with custom texture. Maybe 5 or 6 for each desert/alpine/temperate/Mediterranean/tropic. 

mountain_signature_mx.jpg89a2ff96-230c-4

large_snowy_mountain_hl14_3d_model_3ds_f

lowpoly_mountain_x1_3d_model_3ds_fbx_c4d

Just need some template flags to affect camera zoom.

• Like 3

Re 3D-mesh mountains: I do agree that something like this would be good for the game, it would allow us to give more details to the terrain where it is currently quite annoying to do so. Likewise for cliffs.

I'm thinking maybe a better solution however would be some sort of 3D-decal, where we have a model of "pikes and rocks" that just overlays the terrain dynamically, so you can have details for various types of mountains instead of making them similar. More like a special terrain tile than a mesh.

Though for cliffs you should be able to get away with the "follow height" actors.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wraitii said:

Re 3D-mesh mountains: I do agree that something like this would be good for the game, it would allow us to give more details to the terrain where it is currently quite annoying to do so. Likewise for cliffs.

I'm thinking maybe a better solution however would be some sort of 3D-decal, where we have a model of "pikes and rocks" that just overlays the terrain dynamically, so you can have details for various types of mountains instead of making them similar. More like a special terrain tile than a mesh.

Though for cliffs you should be able to get away with the "follow height" actors.

If the mountains are different enough from different viewing angles, then variation would still be there. This one here looks a lot different from different angles:

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-obj-rocky-mountain/654220

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elexis said:

@wowgetoffyourcellphone The new map preview images look nice, but perhaps it is easier to just overlay two images, one with that circular frame that is transparent in the middle and black outside and then the actual preview image below that. Thus avoiding the duplicate work.

That could work, but I did not want to bother to ty to mod the UI code.

5 hours ago, elexis said:

Match screen: Did you mean #3987? Postponed isn't cancelled :-)

This is good, and will be nice addition. I look forward to it. The layout look awful though. One thing I do not think team put a lot of thought into is the look of UI. Big immersion factor (look at the trading window in the game, is bad). Yes I know time and effort is limit. :) Iteration as always is key.

• Like 1

Suggestions are always welcome and in particular new UI ideas are good material for new contributors. Writing a ticket with a well defined small task like adding few more infos or control elements to the trade dialog and it's likely that some random guy will deliver it, I've seen it so often in the last few releases and some of these fellows stay :ok:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, elexis said:

But you made me curious, what issues/improvements do you have in mind when refering to the trade dialog?

Simple things can be like wording. Why a prose sentence to tell player that there are zero trade units? Use short form instead.

Land Traders: 0

Merchant Ships: 0

I would remake the whole layout of the screen, but small thing like that is improvement (presentation of the information). (y)

On 10/30/2016 at 7:45 PM, elexis said:

But you made me curious, what issues/improvements do you have in mind when refering to the trade dialog?

Somethink like this can be small improvement (without having to redesign the complete dialog, even if it should be).

m7xFT75.jpg

(Also, maybe click icons for some kind of action, or hover over to see the actual profits for each or somethings like this)

• Like 5

Looks good. I recall the prosa code being really ugly as well. Where is the diff implementing that? (Couldn't find it in the delenda est repo)

Having an overview that splits the trade carts by current tradegain seems nice, but not sure how to implement. These carts should be selectable, so that if one has 30 carts on a good route and 5 one with a bad route, the bad ones could be rerouted without affecting the good ones. (We can already see the total amount of resources they carry by selecting all trade carts (alt + doubleclick) and then moving the mouse over the number of units indicator)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, elexis said:

Where is the diff implementing that? (Couldn't find it in the delenda est repo)

This code was implemented with the clicks and drags in Photoshop. (It's not real)

11 minutes ago, elexis said:

Having an overview that splits the trade carts by current tradegain seems nice, but not sure how to implement. These carts should be selectable, so that if one has 30 carts on a good route and 5 one with a bad route, the bad ones could be rerouted without affecting the good ones. (We can already see the total amount of resources they carry by selecting all trade carts (alt + doubleclick) and then moving the mouse over the number of units indicator)

How about this one (re: my mockup image): Hover over the portrait and get tooltip that tells you how much of each resource is being traded at that moment. At bottom of tooltip it say "Left-click to select all idle carts/ships." So, click the porteait and it selects all the idle trade units of that portrait. (aside: right-click opens catalogue entry for the unit, like when clicking all other portrait, there is patch for this somewhere and it worked great, but is depricated by Alpha 20).

• Like 1