Getting rid of heroes

wowgetoffyourcellphone

I have been think of getting rid of heroes in default play for a while now. Until battalions are implement, I was thinking to add Officers (Infantry and Cavalry), Bannermen, and Noisemakers instead of heroes. Heroes stay in Atlas though and can be use in scenarios, like AOE2. The only one that does not work well right now is Noisemaker because of programming, but I'll detail ideas anyway:

Officers

• Infantry Officers
    • Attack damage boost for nearby infantry units
    • Limit: 3
  • Cavalry Officers
    • Attack damage boost for nearby cavalry units
    • Limit: 3

Bannermen

• Defense boost for infantry and cavalry nearby units
  • Marching speed boost for units in his formation
  • Limit: 5

Noisemakers

• Unit will blow horn or play instrument in a rechargeable ability (recharge time around 30 or 45 seconds, maybe improve with tech) - This is part that take the most programming
  • Attack speed boost of nearby units (encouragement)
  • Attack penalty of nearby enemy units (intimidation)
  • Limit: 5

Along with priests, I would consider these units the quadfecta of "army support" or auxiliary units that boost the army of your civilization.

Why not add these along with heroes instead of get rid of the heroe? Because I believ this (and all games) have a balance of the amount of brain power that should be required to play the game effectively. Right now, the game have a lot of good feature at the limit of this balance, especially when talk about unit types. So, if I want to add this concept of auxiliary boost units, then I should take away some other kind of unit, and hero is logical choice since the auxiliary boost units do what heroes tend to do.

In empire earth 2  you have two two kind of Heroe system, one made by his kills ( you know the confirmed kills in the real life) and other given by crowns given for player merits. The first is like a normal unit with boosted skills and the other have abilities.

the officer can be like the first but with abilities, raised by own soldiers to give the other boost in battle, the national kings would be risen by your own player skills ( baased in glory) or trained by traditional method.