[Skirmish] Poplar Forest (3)

@wackyserious, what sort of performance problems do you have? Is it rendering, or other components (f.e. pathfinding or obstruction calculation)?

You can check it by opening it in the main game (Atlas isn't really representative) and pressing F11. You can see the computation time per component per frame (so the longer the computation, the more that component is responsible for lag).

On 13/03/2016 at 0:33 PM, niektb said:

The AI will try to reach it, but since it's impassable terrain you also could actors instead (since the AI doesn't try to gather those)

No, the AI checks the accessibility before trying to gather.  But you may still have a problem with UnitAI (which controls the automatic behaviour of all units either AI or human). When finishing one tree, it will switch to the nearest one without checking on accessibility.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2016 at 6:03 AM, niektb said:

The Forest is quite thick, you might want to reduce that (and keep the amount of actors low)

On 3/19/2016 at 6:19 AM, wackyserious said:

Yeah, the issues are caused by too much actor files, similar to the Crossroads (3) map, I might rethink the forest design and reduce the flora actors..

The new oak trees are very heavy on the triangle count (too heavy -- some of the downward facing branch planes could be optimized by removing a face -- water reflects underside of 1-way tree branch planes anyway so no need for this face). But since they are larger in screen size than the old oak trees, I just increased their wood amount to 300 in Delenda Est and use fewer of them. (y)I would love larger Baoababs and Pine Trees (Douglas Fir?) too!

btw guy, I like your rock orgies. (y) They look nice from a distance.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2